Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Didn't Chris change his favorite pick at least few times in the last decade? Each time his fans con verted to the new "better" pick. I remember discussion about CT and his white wegen, later CT...
  2. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner...not Tuners

I know I used to feel that way. When I first started using an electronic tuner i wondered if i was substituting eyes for ears. My experience is, first of all, that no tuner is accurate enough to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip-on mic setup, anyone?

Thanks Polecat!

1. Interesting solution, thanks for the pics and explanation in that thread.
    2. Interesting comparison tracks
    3. Great picking on Little Wing and Da Slockit Light

Looks like a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Three Ring Circle

Maybe this will help:

https://soundcloud.com/three-ring-circle/a-night-in-calgary?in=three-ring-circle/sets/brothership
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Play for free ...

Yes to Robert's post. If anything, it is far easier now to get exposure, promote yourself, and jump start a career. Here's a story that illustrates what I think Robert's point is.

I had the...
  7. Thread: Annachie Gordon

by amowry
    Replies
    Views

Re: Annachie Gordon

Very nice! I could listen to Nic Jones forever. He's much like Doc Watson in that regard.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Annachie Gordon

That's super nice and makes me want to try a similar version. I initially heard it on Trad Arr Jones which is John Wesley Harding doing Nic Jones covers.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Treble Bleed capacitor values

A 500k pot might be a better choice for that pickup if it's eating treble super quickly as you turn down. The treble bleed cap should be much lower value than a normal tone cap. .001uf or "102"
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Treble Bleed capacitor values

Here's a page I found that uses the bleed cap (down the page a ways, "treble-saver volume control"), but also a resistor to tailor its response. The poster says he actually uses a trim pot to dial in...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: To read or not to read...

This is about as good an intro as there is.

This is the book I got. I have not tried any other book, but I found this one to be great.
  12. Re: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

It's actually a pretty impressive work of music (I know, that'll get me kicked off certain fora I frequent) but I doubt if anyone recognized it ... you probably got booted for the excessive loud...
  13. Thread: Flat Wound

by crisscross
    Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Wound

I have two Suzuki Bowlbacks, one with a maple back the other with a rosewood back. I really like the sound of the rosewood one with Dogal Calace strings, but the maple one, which had D'addario 009s...
  14. Re: Sound files of 23' Loar at Dave's in La Crosse

It is a 1923 Lloyd Loar F5.

You can see it here: http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/lloyd-loar-f5-mandolin-1923/
  15. Thread: Using a strap

by bratsche
    Replies
    Views

Re: Using a strap

I agree with Beanzy. Although there may be instances where the contour of one's body at the point of instrument contact might be too... convex to hold it securely. But, if that is not the case,...
  16. Thread: Why?

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

Re: Why?

To sum up and spare those who don't want to read all these pages on the subject, here are the reasons that some of us like using a case cover:

keep the temperature stable/thermal insulation