Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is my truss rod broken?

The recommendations to wait for a week or so for the string tension to affect the whole instrument are good... But after that, the frets should be tap-checked for seating and then leveled. Anyway,...
  2. Replies
    Views

As others have said, wait a bit with the nut loose and see what happens.
    I always barely snug the nut in situations like this to avoid buzzing from the nut (and sometimes the rod) being loose and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Not exactly: It’s going to have whatever natural relief it has when the nut is loose =and= the strings are putting tension on the neck. Parker's question of "did you tune up to check your relief?"...
  4. Replies
    Views

I assume it's a single action truss rod. Tightening it will pull the neck back to reduce relief/forward bow. Loosening all the way will result in whatever forward bow was built in, which may be...
  5. Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with it?

Today's issue of the Washington Post carries a thought-provoking article that, while it has no direct mandolin content, should be of considerable interest to most of us here on the MC. It talks...
  6. Re: Estate of Bill Monroe Offers Rare Ownership of Prized Possess

Between the social security card and the old checks there's probably enough on sale here to rebuild and steal his identity. Be wary of any William S. Monroes you meet in the next couple years.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: D'addario exp74cm

Hey Dem, I'm checking out the brand Mapes. They don't sell in stores and you have to buy them direct from the factory in Tennessee. For mandolin they offer 4 alloy options that include their...
  8. Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer new Bach Trios recording

Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer: Bach Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: I. Vivace from their forthcoming recording Bach Trios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=770rJqDwRXo

9. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman LA-305

I'm pretty sure that Whistlearrow hasn't been waiting on our reply for 2 years before he made his decision...;)
  10. this is just a cool video, watch how they focus in on the

instrument and hands of each player, just a well made video with a different approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtEFXm7eobg
  11. Spy Photos - New Bare-Bones Kentucky F Mandolin

OK... these are not actually Spy photos. :)

Saga sent them to me.

Saga has finally kicked in F-style production at their sort-of-new hand-carved workshop. We have only seen the KM-750 hit the...
  12. John Reischman's book of transcriptions for Up In The Woods

Here's a sneak peak at the new book cover, said to publish in October some time.

The transcriptions were done by David Benedict, mentioned in a recent Mandolin Mondays post. Here's a video...
  13. Re: Good Reading Material? Not Instructional/Theory Books

I haven't read the whole thread, so these may be repeats, but here are some books that I've really enjoyed that have made a major impact on my music.

In no particular order:

The Practice of...
  14. Re: Any good mandolin shops in Chattanooga, TN?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't know of any high-end mando shops. Mountain Music has 1 or 2 used Gibson F5s and a Weber F, and then standard entry-level stuff.

The Folk Music Store in...
  15. Re: Who can honestly say "l'll never buy another mandolin"?

Everybodies 100% absolutely correct, because we're all freakin crazy....
  16. Re: Who can honestly say "l'll never buy another mandolin"?

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily saying the act of staying true to one mandolin was a virtue. I do have multiple mandolins (and mandolas and banjos and fiddles and guitars, for that matter). Each...
  17. Re: Who can honestly say "l'll never buy another mandolin"?

Yep, that's pretty much my stance as well. My Ellis is more mandolin than I'll ever realistically be able to play to its potential. It was a MAS-killer for me. That's not to say I don't admire...
  18. Re: Who can honestly say "l'll never buy another mandolin"?

I can say that. Unless I need to downgrade. Hopefully, this is never the case. I truly love my Ellis.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard string spacing at bridge????

At some point 'standard' will be less important than your individual preferences, and those may take a while to surface. I've struggled with string spacing to the point of learning how to shape my...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Butch Baldassari's mandolin??????

Found it!
    1925 Gibson used on 1-4, 11, 12
    Nugget in AEAC# on 6, 8, 9
    Sobell Octave on 5, 7, 10, 13, 14

This is why I refuse to throw out all of my cds, even though they're digitized now!...
  21. Thread: Loud

by Folkmusician.com
    Replies
    Views

Re: Loud

Or sometimes 20-30 years to sound like you have been playing 10. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Butch Baldassari's mandolin??????

Well, Butch had and used both a Nugget and a '25 Gibson F-5 for recording, so likely one of them bad boys. He got great tone out of any mandolin he played.
  23. Nice little jam with the Punch Brothers

Looks like Tony Williamson had some nice folks drop by after their performance at Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival on Saturday night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nU28A6ldw
  24. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

I have been down this road so here is what I think...In years past I owned some high dollar mandolins and as I played more and more I found that a inexpensive mandolin did me just as well as a high...
  25. Thread: A models

by TEvans
    Replies
    Views

Re: A models

On the note of A models, and specifically Joe's Nugget, Peghead just put out this video of him talking about it, and then playing a tune with Scott Nygaard. Great sounding mando!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4