Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner that works for setting intonation?

Not trying to sound disputatious (sorry -- I respect you!), but you are confusing two things here: accuracy and precision.

The accuracy is the ability to get the value right. In the case of a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Giving credit where credit is due

Great customer service, for sure :)......BUT, and its a big BUTT -- people have been complaining about this weak spot on Snark tuners for years and nothing gets done about it. In fact, and just for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: REPLACEMENT TUNERS FOR Km -150

Hang on, we went through this a few years ago. Check the spacing between the post centers. Saga used a non-standard set of tuners on the KM-150 and unless that has changed all the well meaning...
  4. Replies
    Views

The end of my playing days.

Hi all - It's not nice to have to post this,but i've been diagnosed with a strong possibility of having lung cancer. As a life long non-smoker,that's pretty ironic.
    It's not 100% certain yet,as i...
  5. Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

We recently discovered players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Two humidifiers are better than one (?)

Actually, 39% is not too terrible. (I have seen significant problems at levels in the 20's or under, but not at 39.) If I am not mistaken, the factory humidity settings at both Gibson and Taylor...
  7. Replies
    Views

Dylan and 'Blood on the Tracks'

I wasn't really looking for mando content when approaching the box set of the "Blood on the Tracks" sessions. But here we go.

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Changes in Neck Relief

I cringe when I hear the word action and neck relief in the same sentence. Too many confuse the two. Action is set at the nut and bridge. These two points control string height. The truss rod only...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How do they do frets at big factories?

"And Gibson had been using (analog) pattern carvers to rough-carve mandolin tops and bottoms long before the advent of the computer, and CNC machines, which do the job more precisely. "

Yup; even...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: How do they do frets at big factories?

+1
    Furthermore, the guys in the Martin repair shop told me they often have to follow the Plek machines and fix the frets.
    I have to fix frets on all sorts of instruments that were not done very...
  11. Thread: oval hole tops?

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: oval hole tops?

Perhaps this is a good time to translate the "codes" currently being used in catalog descriptions by large manufacturers.

"Spruce top" generally means a top made out of laminated wood [plywood]....
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in Heaven ?

In this life you’ve only got two things to worry about, if you’re sick or if you’re healthy.

If you’re healthy you have nothing to worry about but if you’re sick you only have two things to worry...
  13. Thread: Fret leveling

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fret leveling

AMEN. Especially to the last sentence.
    I would add two things - check for any loose frets - they may sit nicely in the slots and be hidden to eye but tapping or scratching against fret end may...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Some friends and I play music for a turkey dinner at a church in an less than wealthy part of town. This is an annual event. There were a couple hundred folks there, but...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How much to sell a use instrument for...

If you look at used instruments at reputable dealers they are often at something 70% or 2/3 of the new price for the instrument for common, well known brands that aren't rarities or limited editions....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Forum saving topics

up!!! :))

Pick guard???

Arm rest???

I've seen and been a part of a lot of instrument related forums. What makes them die is a lack of participation. Lack of participation is usually due...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman mandolin factory (video)

I've posted my thoughts on here before on 'why should we' be surprised at the skill of Chinese workers. In a similar manner to the Japanese,they've had many,many hundreds of years to practice their...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help identifying this kentucky

My guess is Korean made Kentucky KM-620. 3 screw truss rod cover means Korean manufacture. Scroll on top appears flat, no volute, hence laminated. These were entry level instruments at the time. Less...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

The tonegard allows the back of the mandolin to vibrate freely. It doesn't make your mandolin sound better than it inherently does, it prevents it from sounding worse from the back being muted by...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Once owned by

I would guess which Pro owned it. A mandolin owned by Bill Monroe would bring in the money. Whereas one owned by me, not so much.
  21. Re: String quality on used instruments in stores?

Of the music stores that I've visited, and of those that I have taught at back in the last century, none of them except one well known boutique store on the lower west coast ever changed any strings...
  22. Re: String quality on used instruments in stores?

It seems like a no-brainer that stores should put new strings on instruments so they sound better so people want to buy them, but it doesn’t work out that way. Every set of strings you add eats into...
  23. Re: String quality on used instruments in stores?

Old strings can make an instrument sound poor. Also, a poor setup of the bridge and nut can be a problem.
    If there is something that you're interested in, you can always ask the shop to put new...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: flat or curved bridge?

Yeah but... Don't think of it as "putting string notches into an arched bridge". More properly, think of it as "putting whatever string notches are needed for correct playability", and the arch...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Thanks for all the kind words about Phoenix mandolins and the support for Jenny. She made the difficult phone call to me a while back and, while it is sad, it is a good move for her. She is an...
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4