Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever have one of those days?

Unfortunately there's not much difference between a good day and a bad day for me. I sound like the same scalded cat either way.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Does an oval hole have advantages?

Most F-hole players really don't know how to really use an oval-hole to it's maximum capabilities. They'll just play one with the same attack and techniques they use on an F-hole, and then crow...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Does an oval hole have advantages?

If you drop your pick inside the mandolin, it's easier to get it out if you have an oval soundhole.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: On stage banter

A live show is a performance. If there is no performance, then the audience might just as well be listening to a recording, the actual musicians aren't providing anything extra just by turning up.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandriola?

I like the seller's notes, to wit “This Golf Club comes with an almost new Crossline Midsize Lamkin Grip.Light wear, exactly as shown.”

Is he/she suggesting a best use for this instrument?
  6. Recordings in dark and haunting cave of IWW fortress.

Hi!

The recording situation was quite different here. I went to fortress from the times of First World War here in Finland. There I found dark cave that had been mined by Finns and Chinese...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with treating a mandolin properly

The first step in treating a mandolin properly, is to obtain a proper mandolin.
  8. Re: Weird phenomenon: strings going sharp when detuning?

Lubricating the nut slots can be helpful as well. The standard "fix" is to rub a soft lead pencil in the slots to provide graphite lubrication. I keep a small bottle of powdered graphite to use...
  9. Re: Weird phenomenon: strings going sharp when detuning?

Amen to John H's post. It doesn't take much of a change in temperature/humidity to raise (or lower) string pitches noticeably. Indoors to outdoors is one obvious example. I keep my instruments...
  10. Re: Weird phenomenon: strings going sharp when detuning?

It's not the tuners, she needs to not waste the money to change them.
    Strings going sharp are usually caused by one or both of two things: 1. nut slots that are too tight for the string gauges so...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic question

Pentatonics are good way to ease into more complex note sets (the particular notes that you can draw from), bridging the gap between major and minor triad arpeggios and the diatonic scale (and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Taking your Mandolin for a walk...

...leaving the Rogue intact. :grin:
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin strings on a mandola?

here
    7bFwie2OA_g
  14. Replies
    Views

I am not really too familiar with resonator instruments. What sort of compensation is built into your bridge? Have you actually done testing with a tuner to determine intonation?

I do know that...
  15. Replies
    Views

Yes, but he has mandolin strings for a 13 inch scale. Old bowlbacks used that scale, as did Martin and some other flat tops.

You are all missing a big issue here. Mandolin strings have 2 solid...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Taking your Mandolin for a walk...

I don't take my mandolin for walks. It uses the mando door.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitar on a budget

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Yes, there is a fifths tuning nylon set from Aquila that can be used on a baritone ukulele - Aquila 31U. This is packaged for Concert scale CGDA, but also work...
  18. Replies
    Views

You could use an online string tension calculator to answer your question:

http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

You don't mention what the string gauges are or which instrument you have, but...
  19. Replies
    Views

I have mandolin strings -- light ones at that -- on my 1890's Washburn bowl-back mandola. Main reason is that it's been through the wars, multi-cracked and sunken top, though still playable. I...
  20. Replies
    Views

I used to use standard D'Addario J74 for my Gibson tenor lute (which is long scale mandola, 21''). I felt that tension is a bit too high for an old instrument though, so I've ordered a set of custom...
  21. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #15

Johnny Young (1918 – 1974) is an important and influential blues mandolin player. Born later than Yank Rachell and Howard Armstrong (Blues, Stomps, & Rags #2,3,7), he too lived and performed into...
  22. Replies
    Views

19” is a long scale for a Mandola. 16” and 17” are more common. Use a tension calculator to see if the mandolin strings at CGDA on a 19” scale would be roughly the same tension as the same gauge...
  23. Replies
    Views

Tenor Guitar Chords

Hey all! I'm new to the forum.
    Just bought my first tenor guitar last week, the Ibanez AVT1, and am loving it.
    I noticed that there was a lack of specifically tenor guitar chord diagrams. Although...
  24. Replies
    Views

Late medieval lute

https://i.imgur.com/URVWt87.jpg

Just finished this late medieval lute, based on 'The Coronation of the Virgin' by Paolo and Giovanni Veneziano (Italy, 1358) and other sources. Scale length of...
  25. Replies
    Views

Pomeroy Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"

Hello all,

Since the fall of 2017, I've been working with Don Paine of Pomeroy Instruments on a novel build, playfully dubbed the "liuto americano". The concept is a sort of evolution of Don's...
Page 1 of 2 1 2