Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Ways to Get More From Your Practice Time?

As we head into the colder months, a lot of students have been wanting to really focus their practice time. So I wrote up a list of a few primary strategies I've used over the years.

I'd love to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange

I think I have seen some other videos of them, but your post had me go look again. Nice sounding tune, great sounding mando, whatever it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPGvg8qOAU
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why such an addiction to F5s?

I'm into spirals and curves:

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Realization about speed

I have gotten to the point that, while I still have a healthy ambition, I am very comfortable where I am at. I only work at what interests me, to meet immediate goals. My commitment to playing could...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Which "Hand" is the most Critical?

Picking hand is your voice, fretting hand is your vocabulary. That's the way I've always pictured it. And if you have a strong, flexible, wide range of voice, you don't need a lot of vocabulary.
  6. Replies
    Views

Possum Head #001 and #002

This is the first and second in my new "no flash" series I call Possum Head mandolins. A style only.
    Stained, sealed with shellac and two or three coats of truoil. Some mandolins I can sell for...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Weird Behavior From Band Mate(s)

If anyone here in Australia is caught drinking Fosters we immediately call the men in white coats.
    Some of your banjo player's behaviour sounds spookily Syd Barrett like.
  8. Re: To Eastman...Or not to Eastman, that is the question.

I apologize Jamie, my fault, its just hard hearing the same nationalistic arguement sometimes.

Eastmans are great and work nicely for all styles of music IMO. The newer ones have really balanced...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Wood Tops and Backs

Scientifically speaking, there is none, or perhaps a slight increase in stiffness to mass ratio because of evaporation of hemicellulose, but if that ratio in one piece of wood started out better than...
  10. Re: Urgent assistance for right hand techniques: wanted: tips

One thing I do to synchronize my left and right hand timing is a simple exercise:

- Fret a note -- which one doesn't matter at this point, maybe 2nd fret on the A string.
    - Pick the note - try to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: An FFcP question with no names in the title. :)

Ok. The "3rd FFcP C, C#, G, Ab" means that you are working on the third FFcP pattern, thus the "3rd FFcP". As you probably know the 3rd FFcP is the one that starts with the ring finger. So play the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about: left hand, little finger

I think it's more of a mental thing than a physical one. I used to teach a lot and this was a common problem. My advice was to play something like a closed position (no open notes) scale very slowly...
  13. Replies
    Views

I'm in the UK and I never quite understand what...

I'm in the UK and I never quite understand what "Bluegrass" really is.

I try and learn stuff from my Sam Bush DVDs but is this "proper" Bluegrass or fiddle tunes?

I've heard some incredible...
  14. Replies
    Views

Back around 1980 I graduated from Berklee, where...

Back around 1980 I graduated from Berklee, where my main focus was on learning theory and composition. I could play OK but my tone and technique were "not happening", and I couldn't figure out why I...