Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How about a thread on tips and tricks?

There's no simple answer other than, "I turn knobs until I'm happy," but I know how annoying it is when I read people saying that in response to an earnest question. I have a fair amount of...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

I play 4 or 5 string electric to play Western Swing!
  3. Replies
    Views

There's endless creative freedom for me on an electric instrument of any kind, and I have many oddballs, including an electric erhu. All the music I make has a lot of electronic elements, so the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Here's a rough mix of the latest, and it's ALL electric, all the time
  5. Replies
    Views

I got interested in electric mandolin not because I've heard it, but because I saw an ad for a 5 string in the back of Stewart-MacDonald back in like 1990. I'd been playing mandolin & guitar for a...
  6. Replies
    Views

I suppose I should learn to use an expression pedal, as I have intentions on producing some formalized electronic pieces.
    I've become a sucker for chorus on electric, that Adrien Belew era King...
  7. Replies
    Views

tmsweeney, you’re getting into some serious delay/FX there! I remember the first time
    I saw The Edge from U2 talk about his rig and approach, and my mind was blown. It sounds sometimes like he’s...
  8. Replies
    Views

I wanted to play Althea with some wah and sustain! Have a 4 string Belmuse and Fender modeling amp - use it mainly to mess around with. I never played guitar but probably as close as I will get. It’s...
  9. Replies
    Views

I haven't moved to single string electrics yet, still preferring coursed electrics, I do have all 4: mandolin mandola, octave and mandocello electric.
    I was looking at some higher end electrics...
  10. Replies
    Views

Because, when you play four string electric, nobody knows how much you suck at tremolo! :))

More broadly, even for a hobby player like myself with limited equipment (an Eastwood Madostang into...
  11. Replies
    Views

I like wah, envelope filters and overdrive.
  12. Replies
    Views

I play electric because I like to play blues & find bending much easier on them. I also like to use pedals.
  13. Replies
    Views

I started on electric, and still mostly play 5-string electric. I started because I loved Tiny Moore's playing with Bob Wills so much. Acoustic mandolin is fine, but it has far less attraction to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Recordings and performances of acoustic mandolin with drums and amplified bass cause a bit of strain in my head. I saw Hamilton de Holanda live. It was quite loud, but his 10-string was as loud as...
  15. Replies
    Views

These folks express my feelings - for me I use the built-in pickup on my normally acoustic mandolin just to bring the volume level up to be able to play with jazz horns and amplified guitar, bass and...
  16. Replies
    Views

I play electric because its the best way to be heard when playing regularly with trumpet, sax or clarinet along with guitars going through the PA.
    (Plus like suggested, its a way to relive...
  17. Replies
    Views

On an acoustic with a pickup, I like the ability to be louder while maintaining a lite touch. But on the hollow body with a humbucker, I like the soft, sustained jazzy tone that is so reminiscent of...
  18. Replies
    Views

My top-of-my-head glib-ish answer is to reiterate what Zal Yanovsky said in the liner notes on The Lovin' Spoonful's first album: He became a convert to Reddy Kilowatt because it's loud, people dance...
  19. Replies
    Views

Not much to add to this but this is why I like listening to electric mandolin, when there's someone that really knows how to get one set-up correctly and has the right kind of musical sensibilities...
  20. Replies
    Views

Once I saw Sam bush do laps in seven on YouTube, I had to get one. So I got in touch with Ted Eschliman who sold me a JBovier ELS. I love the tones I can get, and it makes me play a bit differently....
  21. Replies
    Views

- with earphones to silently practise
    - with sunglasses to do the ZZ Top thing matching my beard
    - combination of both outdoors
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mudulation effects

If I can run an instrument through pedals, I will, and my 5 string Wee Beastie is no exception. That being said, the only proper modulation effect I've used on mandolin is my '62 Princeton's bias...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mudulation effects

I recently (saw up close) a Strymon Cloudburst used with an acoustic guitar, and now it's on the top of my wishlist. I'd never heard of "ambient reverb" before; it's impressive!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: string gauges (again)

I'm running 10-48 on my 15" scale length 5 string right now. I was running a .046 C string because that's what came on it, but since then the maker has adjusted his recommended gauges to: 0.050,...
  25. Re: Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

Douzat in the Charente departement. He's active on FB.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4