Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Mandolins?

Webers are so nice. They really do have a unique voice that you cant get anywhere else. I miss the yellowstone i had and wont consider my mandolin collection complete until i get another Weber.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Loars at Carter’s

These days there are so many mandolins that can compete with the old loars.

Wheras in the past if you wanted that level of craftsmanship it was pretty difficult to get it anywhere else.
  3. Replies
    Views

fun practice exercise

Just had alot of fun with this.

Alot of times to practice ill play over an album or a backing track. Im sure others do this too. Try detuning your bottom G and D strings down completely out of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are Cool

I really appreciate that you guys are being civil and all.

but in my opinion ukuleles are the devil and need to be rooted out one by one from this earth
  5. Re: Tuning machines: whats your favorite and why?

I just got my rubners installed on my a9 today. They work very well, a definite upgrade from the schaller/grovers that were on there, though there was nothing wrong with them

My only complaint is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Passernig two point in the classifieds

Yes ive played it, Its been there a pretty long time. Probably just because its a mandola which i imagine is harder to sell. But boy it does sound good
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

The good thing about the mandolin is that the average person hasnt heard any Chris Thile or Sierra Hull or Avi Avital. For all they know, youre the best in the world
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post MAS syndrome

The best cure ive found for MAS is not having any money. Anyone tried that?
  9. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Wow the inlay work is really well done, and that top is ridiculous!

Lucky you
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best string/mandolin match-ups?

I dont think you can determine what strings are best just by the model or brand. Every mandolin is different. They arent cars.Theyre made out of wood. One gibson f5 might be more similar to a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Improv From Scratch

I really need to spend more time with this.

I cant be sure, because ive never gotten there. But i swear the thing that holds me back the most is fear of messing up. I know what notes to play over...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile shred

We are very lucky to live in the same timeline as this virtuoso Chris Farley. Really Post-modern he is
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas presents for mandolin players

I think i would really appreciate getting The Mandolin: A History book by Graham McDonald

But im kind of a nerd about instruments like alot of us here. Some people just want to play and dont care...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's 1926 Gibson Mandola

Honestly Sierra is my favorite mandolinist these days. Shes got such a great touch and style and most importantly her music is great. Not just flashy playing in a vacuum

I think shes actually...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson spot repair

Either learn to live with some honest play wear, or use a pickguard.

Theres no need for spot finishing or touchups or any of that. Play wear is beautiful in my opinion anyway. If a mandolin has...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

Ive found that they definitely work. Theres not really any debate about that. But sometimes its not a desirable effect. Some mandolins can end up being too bright. That contact between your body and...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Brown Eyed Women on mando and guitar

very nice playing from both. Probably my all time favorite song
  18. Re: The Hard Fact That A New Mandolin Won't Make Me Sound Better.

dont worry, i have the same model and make mandolin from almost the same year and i dont sound anything like David
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Extended fretboards are they a nuisance?

Yeah but he cheated! He usually Removed one fret
  20. Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

A private company may have shareholders as well. Private equity is a thing. Usually private equity firms, or venture capital, but sometimes former employees may also have shares.
  21. Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

All that matters to me is

Do the mandolins still sound good, still high quality? Still a competitive price? For now, the answer to all those questions is yes with the TOH Webers. All the other...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat Lonesome: "Game of Thrones" Theme

Very nice. I like the original better, maybe the bass player shoulda busted out the bow? Still good!

Either way, I'm pumped!!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Replica?

I think so. You judge by the quality of the instrument in that case. A lot of the best builders got their start making Gibson replicas. Now days people are more willing to play mandolins with the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Del McCoury Band - "Ain't Gonna Do"

Saw them do this one just a couple of feet away this weekend. This was my favorite song of the set
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: No MAS. ( no Duran content )

Absolutely, it's not dissimilar from any other additction. We can call it mas all we want, but in the end, it is an addiction and can get very unhealthy. We can all develop addictions, and we all...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4