Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandoline string spacing

I personally would also modify the bridge saddle slots.
    If you have an adjustable bridge, you can file the top of the saddle down to remove the old slots and cut in new slots and then bring the...
  2. Replies
    Views

I've since modified the string spacing on my Blueridge to 3mm between the G course and 2.5mm between the D course, exactly for this reason.
    I would have the nut remade to bring those courses closer...
  3. Replies
    Views

A few young musicians to keep an eye on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVl1ibykWZU
  4. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

I had recently come across Molly Tuttle and crew's version and transcribed the head. I had seen the Flatpick transcription but there were enough differences (quibbling on 2/4 measure placement, chord...
  5. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

Here’s another version by Brittany Haas and Lauren Rioux. That has some of that syncopated phrasing that Arcand uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrJBel62r0I&
  6. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

Not terribly different than the flatpicking version that Jim linked, it just changes chords a bit more often, and occasionally at odd points in the measure. Essentially just D-Em-G-Bm-G-A-D for the...
  7. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

I must thank you, Matthew, for reminding me of this tune and how much i love it. It has always been on my list but today I put Mr. Arcand's version into Amazing Slow Downer and learned it note for...
  8. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

They also smooth out the rhythm to a more modern bluegrassy sound. I prefer the original but I am a big fan of Métis and Québécois fiddling and love that subtle sort of hiccoughing accent that is...
  9. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

Pretty cool to hear the original version. I've actually learned it from the Darol Anger/Joe Walsh versions, but it's nice to find that the melody is essentially unchanged - they've just altered the...
  10. Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

This is a great tune, I learned it by listening to Sierra Hull’s version, it was tough with the little extra measure in there but good practice. Not sure if there is mandolin TAB out there but...
  11. Dominick Leslie- Watson's Blues Transcription

Here's another transcription for a nice Saturday pickin' tune. I've always dug Dom's phrasing and rhythm in his playing and thought this would be a good song to look at those things. Plus, Watson's...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: any repair for a pinky wear spot.

Sometimes,folk will accept 'more wear' if it's down to playing over a long period = distressing !. Small patches of wear such as the wear in the photo. simply look like 'damage' in a way (which it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: any repair for a pinky wear spot.

I don't disagree with this thread. I mentioned what I had done when I had some "pinky wear" on my Eastman mandola. I also said that it's more difficult to find a pristine finish on a used...
  14. Thread: Alvarez F3

by JH Murray
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alvarez F3

Walk away as fast as you can. Not ever at that price.
  15. Thread: Alvarez F3

by Nevin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alvarez F3

For either price I think you can find better options. e1,200 is absurd. Do some searches and you will find many recommendations for starter mandolins.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Well said, Scott, and I hope your message was well received!
  17. Replies
    Views

An open letter to Classifieds users

I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: ZEN-ON Japanese Acoustic Guitar

You might try asking on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, there is usually someone that knows at least something about obscure guitars over there. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What fretboard radius is most common?

Here are some of my thoughts on fingerboard radii;

First of all, I like arched fingerboards, I think they feel better and most people (but certainly not all) prefer them, so I put arched...
  20. Replies
    Views

I've used Grahams's spacing for about a dozen octaves with no complaints yet.
  21. Replies
    Views

Graham,

Thanks for that very helpful diagram. I seem to have missed it the last time around and I couldn't locate it with my usual lame choice of search engine wording. You've got my vote for...
  22. Replies
    Views

Someone else asked almost the same question a couple of weeks ago. Here are my diagrams for OM/bouzouki nut and strings spacing. The distance between the courses can be altered proportionally to suit...
  23. Replies
    Views

Michael,

Many thanks for responding. The basic guidlines are helpful. What I'm a bit concerned about is those big floppy G strings with a 585mm SL. Do you reckon 2mm spacing between the individual...
  24. Replies
    Views

Rob, do you need actual measurements or just some guidelines? There are several old posts here on the 'cafe addressing this.

I start with the two outside strings, set them in from the edge...
  25. Replies
    Views

Sorry for the spelling error on the subject line. No, I'm not referring to the kitchen utensil.<G>
Page 1 of 2 1 2