Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: First attempt at a burst on an F5

You did a great job, Nick! Thanks for sharing.
  2. Thread: Slow Air

by Avi Ziv
    Replies
    Views

Re: Slow Air

Thanks for the kind words!

Here is the story behind this composition as per Matt Cranitch

Tomás Rua Ó Súilleabháin (1785-1848) was a poet, schoolteacher, fiddler and dancing master. He worked...
  3. Thread: Slow Air

by Avi Ziv
    Replies
    Views

Slow Air

Here is an Irish Slow Air I've been working on lately. It's been on my mind for some time now, but I couldn't imagine how a slow air would work on this instrument. There is so little to reference....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

I almost sprayed my screen with coffee, reading this. LOL!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording mandolin - dealing with breath noise

Allen - thanks for the brainstorm. I have not tried putting anything in front of my face to help the isolation but I may try it. However, this quoted statement actually is relevent in a way. See, my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice Projects

I made some improvements to the workbench above what the plan called for. I didn't like the idea of having MDF as the top layer and so I attached a layer of tempered hardboard to the top with...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice Projects

A few years ago, after getting tired of using my kitchen table for woodworking, I built my first workbench out of lumber from HD plus the vise hardware from Lee Valley. It's been serving me well....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a Picture of your Shop

Great space Marty and the picture of the young Jedi is just too much!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile in Princeton, NJ

That's Cool, Jamie. Have a great time
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Nava "Standard Custom"

Beautiful mandolin, Gary!
  11. Replies
    Views

Daoiri Farrell "Creggan White Hare"

Some mighty fine bouzouki playing and singing

UPI_tHNjS78&feature=youtu.be
  12. Replies
    Views

New CA glue for woodworkers?

Just noticed this article in the Fine Woodworking blog. Do you builders think it would be useful somewhere in your process?

Thanks,
  13. Replies
    Views

Wood inlay article in PWW

This month there is a free e-version of PWW Magazine and in it I found an article on double bevel wood inlay that may be of interest to some of us. It was written by Jameel Abraham a master...
  14. Re: JM11 flatwound strings being used for traditional irish music

I've been playing Irish traditional music in sessions for many years now and I have never heard a comment such as "[insert name] is a great player with tremendous tunes but he uses the wrong...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Building a Bresciane/Cremonese style Mandolin

Wonderful, Yaron! Sorry I missed you on my last trip to Israel. Couldn't make it happen. Hoping for next time. Keep building!

Avi
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: k&k pickup installation

It's been a while but here are some photos of my installation. I got it done this past weekend and it went very smoothly. The reaming was easier than I thought (I pracriced) and came out perfect. The...
  17. Replies
    Views

W. A. Mozart: Bassoon Concerto, 1st movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSfTMbyzvV4
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a Celtic/Gaelic mandolin

You may want to check out Bucks County Folk Music shop in New Britain. They have a reasonable selection of mandolins to try out in the store. Some new and sometimes used ones as well.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a Celtic/Gaelic mandolin

I've played mandolin in Irish traditional sessions for years. I play an f-hole Flatiron carved mandolin and no one has ever complained that my sound is not "right". How you play the instrument is...
  20. Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

slightly off topic, I know, but.....
    I'm not an electric player but last night I did watch the film It Might Get Loud, where Jimmy Page, the Edge,and Jack White are brought together to discuss...
  21. Replies
    Views

A couple of years ago I was traveling in Dingle...

A couple of years ago I was traveling in Dingle and walked into the workshop of a bodhran maker. She was building them in the back of her retail shop and also giving lessons there. I didn't have time...