Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. David Surette offering new online mandolin class, lessons too!

Hi folks,

The Mandolin Almanac is a new, online, participatory class being offered this fall at the Concord Community Music School in Concord, NH. The Mandolin Almanac is based on last year's...
  2. Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad

Irish trad: Planxty first album, got it around 82. A true classic.
  3. Re: Article: French and Italian Tunes for Mandolin and Fiddle

Hi Carrie, I am glad you are enjoying the recordings. I had not really planned for the book to be downloadable, but maybe I should reconsider that? Drop me a line at burkesurette@gmail.com, and we...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Peter was a wonderful musician and human being; I am very grateful I got to know him a bit. He was one of my very first big mandolin influences, along with the Dawg. My wife Susie and I got to meet...
  5. Re: Paddy Keenan. Se Mo Laoch, TG4. Essential viewing!

Loved the Paddy program. I was curious to see if it would mention his time spent in NH, but no. He had some very interesting things to say about rhythm and accompaniment. But speaking of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for exotic scales for Mandola

I think folks here may find it interesting to look at the thaat system of raga classification that can be found in North Indian classical music. This evolved in the 19th century as a way to classify...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

I think it was unfortunate that LFH had to start its on-air life as the replacement/successor to PHC. They are very different shows, and it must have been tough for Thile to deal with a lot of the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Acoustic Dead duo tunes

My good buddy Steve Roy & I have a duo, Steve & Dave Play Dead, which is what we do, and we did it as part of an online fest we are a part of, Dead to the Core, this past weekend. We are the only act...
  9. Re: Article: French and Italian Tunes for Mandolin and Fiddle

Thanks, for the nice comments, Scott. Just wanted to let folks know that there are now recordings of all the tunes available here at Bandcamp: https://davidsurette.bandcamp.com/
    This is an audio...
  10. Re: Jacques Pellen (Breton guitarist) dies of Coronavirus

Very sad news, thanks for posting, Dagger. I saw JP in a little coffeehouse-style concert in Benodet, Brittany back in the 90s. He was playing with a couple of other guitarists, including Soig...
  11. Replies
    Views

Happy 101st to Pete Seeger

Here's a little backyard picking 'n singing in honor of Mr. Pete Seeger, with my sweet songbird wife and partner Susie Burke. Pretty nice day today up here in ME, and I hope you enjoy the song and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick (nerd) journeys

Hi Dagger!
    Well, you are in good company in nylon-land. I have done a few gigs lately with Seamus Egan, and he really likes those triple-sided nylon Herdrim picks, which are pointy and not too...
  13. Replies
    Views

Pick (nerd) journeys

There's been endless threads about which pick we all are currently playing, or test-driving, but I thought it might be fun to hear some stories about all the picks we tried along the way. So here's...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

DG is the Man! For so many of us. Happy Birthday, David Grisman.
  15. Replies
    Views

My new band

This is a really fun project! Thanks to my cohorts at the Concord Community Music School: Hari on vocals and harmonium, Prem on tabla, Matt on sax, and Scott on bass.
  16. Replies
    Views

Nepali/folk/jazz fusion concert

This is a little video of our new band rehearsing. If anyone is close to Concord NH for a free noontime concert this coming Thursday at the Concord Community Music School, I think you will really dig...
  17. March Mandolin Festival concerts and beer tasting

Well, folks, our workshop slots are full for 2019, but we have two great concerts that are open to the public, on Friday March 1 at the Stone Church Music Club in Newmarket NH (6:30), and Saturday...
  18. Replies
    Views

more Italian mandolin, please

Well, it is an extreme privilege for me to be able to say that I will be part of the teaching staff at this year's International Mandolin & Guitar Accademia in Genoa. I am honored to be there with...
  19. Replies
    Views

Burke/Surette southern April gigs

Hi folks,

We don't get down this way very often, so I thought I'd post it up here, in case some of you might want to check us out. Lots of mando and guitar! Hope to see some of you out and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Thanks, mandolin

Thanks, mandolin. I owe you a lot. You were the perfect 2nd instrument, when I was looking to find something else to do in addition to guitar (age of 20). You fit right in to the stuff I liked on...
  21. Re: Marla Fibish Irish Mandolin Winter Intensive Workshop - Feb '

We just had both Marla and Max and Lauri Girouard here at our little March Mandolin Festival in Concord NH, and rave reviews for both. Marla is a wonderful player and teacher, and a great advocate...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

I've had mine for about 3 years now, and I continue to be thrilled with it. I first saw a blondey A-5 that Mandobar had, and decided to get one that would be built for me. Working with Max and Lauri...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help ID fiddle tune?

That is part of a French/Canadian tune that I know as La Cardeuse. I think Kevin Burke also recorded it with Patrick Street, perhaps?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Never Going Back Again, again

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiP5Wp7EwUI
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is headed to Swananoa in August?

I am wicked psyched to be back this year for Mando/Banjo/Fiddle, after having to miss last year. Swanny is a fabulous week! Hope you get off the waitlist, Marcus.
Page 1 of 2 1 2