Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Random mandolin sightings

All my life I've heard and liked that tinkly little opening to The Beach Boys' "Wouldn't It Be Nice," and only today did I learn (courtesy of The Wrecking Crew group on Facebook) that it was played...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo shoulder

If I’m understanding this and visualising it correctly, are you saying the arm really does have an important role to play in tremolo?

It always seemed to me that it should, because if you think of...
  3. The merciless camera (recording ourselves as a reality check)

Oh, the unexpected (but valuable) things we see and learn when we sit in front of the camera to record our progress!

How often have I felt I was chugging along quite nicely on a new tune, only to...
  4. “Satan is Real” Louvin Brothers movie looks like it’s happening

Delighted to see the mention of Michael Daves in this week’s issue of The New Yorker, where a profile on actor Ethan Hawke described Michael coaching Hawke on voice and mando for his role as Ira...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Henry New Monroe Improvisation Course

You're welcome. Wish you were here in N. California so we could play our Northfields together!
  6. Replies
    Views

I think it's a huge value and a must-buy for anyone interested enough in Monroe style to be reading this thread.

How much you get out of it, though, depends on you: Do you need a teacher who...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall’s tone recipe

Re:strings — On my Northfield F5S I tried Straight Up Strings medium gauge, and I think they sound great on it. Never went back to D’Daddario after that. So if you feel like experimenting again, they...
  8. Replies
    Views

Totally agree. Just one thing to know: If you’re accustomed to a deliberate, very structured, progressive learning curriculum like you’d find on, say, Sharon Gilchrist’s Peghead Nation courses, then...
  9. Replies
    Views

Purchased!

I think this course really breaks some new ground, compared with other Monroe-style instructional options out there, by focusing on several core concepts, or building blocks, or...
  10. Re: No mandolin content: Nursing musical grudges?

I posted this news item because it gave me a laugh in a dark time.
    It just struck me as funny that they singled out harmonicas for the ban — I could imagine some harmonica-hating government official...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Missing the bluegrass sound

I'm not shilling for this, but I did notice Peghead Nation announced Sharon Gilchrist's new course, starting this month, is "Bluegrass Mandolin Fingerboard Method." She gives a preview here.
  12. Re: Funny reference to Bluegrass in mystery novel

If you like mysteries (the ones with interesting characters and regional flavor, not the high-andrenaline, high body-count kind),
    The Appalachian Mountain Mysteries series by Lynda McDaniel has a...
  13. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

Thank you, Jesper -- your book is a godsend.

I'm in the midst of really working my way through it (after a couple of false starts)...

I think the reason I put it aside before was that (1) I was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Love Bluegrass but....

Another suggestion is to study transcriptions of Bill Monroe solos, particularly fiddle tunes that existed before he did, and feel the difference between how he fingered the phrases vs. the way a...
  15. NY Times profiles Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Co.

Great Sunday feature story in the 1/5/2020 New York Times about how luthiers in this nonprofit rural Kentucky shop have been running a successful apprenticeship program to help people find solace and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone taking online lessons?

Real-time feedback is great, no doubt. The loop between output-feedback-input is instantaneous.

To me, recorded feedback has some distinct advantages over real time, even with a longer wait for...
  17. Re: Free Online Mandolin Workshop - Brainstorming

Tone.

Whatever one’s playing level, and whatever grade of mandolin one has, what are the checkpoints of technique, mechanics, etc., that help pull the best possible tone out of the instrument as...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Mandolins and Beer Podcast

Mike Compton would be someone I'd really like to hear on your podcast, too.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Really need to work on my right hand

I'm still pretty new at the mando myself (just 14 months in), but I recently read something that might be apropos:

Someone asked Bill Monroe how he played so fast.
    "I'm not fast; I'm quick," he...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Your First Upgrade

My first upgrade happened just today...

My starter mando was a The Loar LM520-VS, which I bought new from The Mandolin Store. The "Pro Setup" that it shipped with was still a little high for my...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Satan is Real movie

It would be a cracker of a true-life story for a musical biopic — but I may have to step out for popcorn every time Ira throws a fit at his mandolin for going out of tune and stomps it to splinters...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Fret work in SF/Marin?

Rob Sherman, in the city of Napa. (robertshermanguitars.com)
    Mike Marshall likes him and Rob did good work for me, so there you go.
  23. Re: Article: Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Submission Op

Congratulations and have a blast!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: slipping plectrum

I find that when I’ve got my index finger properly curled in my pick grip, the crease of the first joint on my index finger forms a little pocket or backstop that the back edge of the pick can rest...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't be nervous

That's some really great encouragement there, sbhikes!

Still...

I'm only 6 months into my bluegrass mandolin learning journey, and even though I practice daily and I'm making good progress,...
Page 1 of 2 1 2