Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Heiden

I've been fortunate to have met a variety of builders over the years, and also have been lucky in finding some wonderful mandolins. For several seemingly good reasons I began searching for an...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat top for blues?

The cruddy instruments a lot of the blues guys used, particularly in the early days, would shock a lot of you. Sure, B B and muddy used nice Gibson and fenders. But look at hound dog Taylor. It took...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to check out a jam session

I went though I didn’t play. But I will return and I will play. One guy sat in on melodica and he swung HARD. I think I can fit in going forward.

Lots of standards as you might expect (How Deep Is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

While a "petite D" in gypsy jazz terms my Paris Swing is more oval than not. Super tone that's very different from my f.

5. Replies
    Views

Slide Mandolin

Here's some playing around with slide mandolin. This is some of what is being explored in this week's mandolin blues lick of the day series.

https://youtu.be/wqYpXV2q6wo
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson models...

I picked up one of the new 2023 F5G models recently, and i own a 2022 older version F5G.

I've had a couple Dave Harvey Gibsons pass thru my hands (via personal ownership and normal playwear...
  7. Re: Stringjoy Foxwood mandolin strings first impressions.

Good to hear Scott. I'll be stringing my LaPlant with these soon.
  8. Stringjoy Foxwood mandolin strings first impressions.

I was one of the lucky winners of the Stringjoy mandolin string giveaway a couple weeks ago.
    I chose the coated Foxwood 11-40s to try out. My favorite strings of the past were Daddario EXLs,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

When I had my ‘24 Gibson snakehead I used Thomastik stark or heavy strings exclusively. They were a perfect fit for that instrument. They sounded great and wore like iron. I changed them only once a...
  10. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

Thanks, Ray - I saw the original post, but didn't connect S/H with 'snakehead.' Thanks for the clarification. Every time I think I have a handle on all the acronyms, a new one comes up ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about flat wound strings

I use D'Adddario EFW-74s on my mid-teens F-4 (oval hole but you knew that). The strings are stainless steel flat wound like the Tomastiks I have used on this mandolin with unsatisfactory results...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwounds HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THEM?

I don’t play flatwounds, but generally change strings when the A course starts to get difficult to keep in tune. I have several instruments so change strings anywhere from every 3-12 months depending...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM-900

Yes sir. I will post some photos.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2023 Gibson F-5G

UPDATE:
    The original mandolin had a very minor blemish and I ultimately chose to exchange it. By then of course the F5G’s were out of stock and I had to wait for the next batch to come in. That is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

https://youtu.be/tkCFt0C6VLo?si=m8k79-I2e1v7TTYq
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

Car, insurance and gasoline cost has not absorbed that?

:popcorn:
  17. Replies
    Views

Much much longer, but it depends a lot on what you want to hear: PB's are louder and brighter, especially when new. So... if you want to hear new sounding PB's there is no substitute for a new set. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

https://youtu.be/Kqq532Rp5JQ?si=putb3wptrLzcEcJ3
  19. Replies
    Views

D'Addario "flat tops", when the wound A pair goes horribly false, maybe every couple of years. Thomastic PB flat wounds on the octave mandolin, every couple of years, they start dull, they stay dull,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2023 Gibson F-5G

The Chapman’s are extremely honest and service oriented. Always responsive. Good luck with getting things right, soon.
  21. Replies
    Views

There are two issues that help decided to change strings. Both are subtle and have to be carefully examined. The decision is always difficult, however I try to remember that I'm a 'cheap - skate' and...
  22. Thread: Love for Ovals

by jmagill
    Replies
    Views

One other thing to note about the old Gibson ovals. The pre-Loar ovals without a trussrod sound different from those that came after. Some prefer one or the other but they don't sound the same. I'm...
  23. Replies
    Views

Count me in, I love the oval sound. '24 A Jr and and Collings MT2-O here. Owned plenty others also. The Gibson is loud and cranky and sonorous and a finicky little thing - a true joy, the pinnacle of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Love for Ovals

I haven't posted yet on the Cafe but read it all the time.

Just wanted to share my love for Oval hole mandolins. I have been playing two very good A style mandolins for years, and Ellis A-5 and a...
  25. Thread: Edwina Issues

by Alex Orr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Edwina Issues

I talked to Ear Trumpet today. I'd envisioned having a bit more room to play off the mic, but they informed me that one foot is really where I should be. I think we were cranking the gain a bit too...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4