Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Me? A copyright violator?

Opinions following are the author's, and come from my own potentially flawed understanding of the presently enacted copyright laws. I'd be very happy were I mistaken, but I've read too many tales of...
  2. Thread: Gibson F9?

by DerTiefster
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F9?

This thread turned to the F-9 because of the paucity of Jam Masters on the market. The O.P. bought an F-9.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin and fiddle destroyed

We all do things that we perceive to be "for the good." An interesting follow-on question is, "For the good of whom?" The patriarch made a decision many would question, me included. He had an end...
  4. Re: Girouard #30, something a little different.......

We now have proof about my point above....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Case Recommendations (1920 Vega 201)

small case. I'd have to point toward the mbtmanwbk at amazon. I've seen their pricing vary all over the map lately, but sometimes in the low $30s shipped to your door. It's a bit tighter than a...
  6. Re: Girouard #30, something a little different.......

Well, let me be the first here to say, "And now for something -completely- different!" That sounds great and looks astoundingly different. Let me catch my breath on that one. Been up a half-hour...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: My Flatiron 1N

Welcome, also. I'm one of the many, many contributors to that compulsive purchase thread. And I read the -whole- thing, too. And I have a Flatiron pancake on the way, a mandola..... I think there...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentocky KM-855 vs. Loar LM-600

I -believe- that the tailpiece would have been a factory-installed item. I do not recall mandograndad having a replacement of tailpiece done, and -thought- that his mandolin was a new-from-dealer...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentocky KM-855 vs. Loar LM-600

Hobo: on the laminated back issue, I have a very nice Epiphone '70s import BG-440 with what appears to be a beautiful 2-pc back. When you look inside, it seems to be made of 3 pieces, staggered over...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin For Dummies - For Real

It takes an osmotic boost by sleeping with it under your pillow. That's how I got into the philharmonic.

Wait...maybe that was a dream
  11. Re: Discontinued/rare mandolins, heres my Washburn M12

From what I understand of it, the only person who has really gone from having a rare mandolin to anywhere near the medium well stage is Frank Wakefield.
  12. Re: Beginner ..... Have I been playing wrong for the past 2 month

The 1-6 spread -is- a bit of a stretch. But are you sure you are holding your fingers so they're mostly parallel to the strings? It's easy to try to hold them in guitar position across the strings,...
  13. Re: Discontinued/rare mandolins, heres my Washburn M12

Discontinued. Not common (I think that means rare, but there are differences of opinion). Some of these are rosewood backed, but not this one, and even if it is plywood it looks pretty. These...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: How hard is it to do setup?

There's a story I was told years ago about a technician at a missile test facility (yeah, that's the story; I've only heard it from one source 30 yrs ago; still, it might not be accurate). Guy...
  15. Re: Discontinued/rare mandolins, heres my Washburn M12

Let's be nice here, fellows. I'm hoping to see a 2-pt Gibson A-5 or a uh.... well, something I never saw before. Maybe a prototype Ibanez or Eastman -- just something that doesn't have that many...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Minuets

Thank you. I enjoyed listening to that. It reminded me that there is a really, really good reason to learn standard notation, and that I really, really ought to pull out Debra Chen's Std. Not. book...
  17. Thread: Regal

by DerTiefster
    Replies
    Views

Re: Regal

My great-great-uncle's Regal-esque birch mandolin has a body and heel looking like that. But you know yours was a Regal already. I don't know whether Gibson initiated the M.o.T.S. fretboard, but...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin "L" Chords

And fredfrank managed even to stay on topic. I stand in awe.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mystery pitch loss!

I realize (excuse me, that should perhaps be realise) that this is an extremely conservative group here, but I'm going to ask this question: With such sensitivity to humidity, which -must- (seems to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Stolen mando

I sympathize with the owner of the stolen mandolin. I also interpreted Ivan's comment when I first read it not as unsympathetic, but as a reminder to all of us to pay attention as much as possible...
  21. Re: My guitar fingering got too ingrained, what to do?

Your one per fret fingering is about what one would use for an octave mandolin or mandocello. Maybe you should consider that you are now 5 yrs into learning the short-scale octave mandolin tuned up...