Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

The advice above is good, just a few more thoughts here. As a preamble, I'll note that fiddlers have a technical advantage over our flatpicked instruments, because they can slur a run of notes. I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Thanks Sue and Chuck! Here's my 1st attempt to cover anything by John Reischman. I mean, the man is a monster. I'd give most anything to be that cool behind the controls... Thanks for the Listen!!...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I have an old

The last two digits of my serial numbers signify the year while the first three relate to the number of the instrument.
    So your mandolin is the 46th mandolin I have built and it was completed in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Any input from those with fuller figured heads? Many "one-size fits all" hats are too small for my noggin.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Bren, yes mate I posted after a "bad" night in the local pub back room with just myself and a concertina player. Felt a bit depressed until I got back home, a few more drinks on a Winter's night sat...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats the name of this tune?

Again, I don't know how much you know about the blues, but I agree with Bob's comment (above). Often in blues, you don't have a "tune" (melody) so much as a chord pattern that you can improvise...
  7. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hey Aidan,

I just made a video of those jigs I did for you all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWxcbB-QBU
  8. The Kindness of Strangers - Aidan Crossey

As some will know, Aidan Crossey has had some major health issues recently. Today he was taken into hospital for tests and possible surgery. (Not confidential information - he announced it on the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

I am a big fan of the tremolo, a great defender of the tremolo, I love the tremolo...with time I have learned that its use depends on our taste, on what we want to express when we play a particular...
  10. Thread: DolinmanX

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Re: DolinmanX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oq0Kr40f2M&lc=UgzpYuqNhXq5tsTOozF4AaABAg
  11. Re: Moved to Kazakhstan, need free sheet music until stuff arrive

Well, it's about a year and a half later. I did get to that museum, and it is absolutely amazing. Traditional instruments, particularly from Central Asia, but from all over the world. Loved it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are 2-3x more than equivelent guitars?

Think about it in terms of arch tops. Arch top guitars, because of the additional carving/voicing required, tend to be 2-3 times the price of a comparable flat top, though admittedly not always....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I recently went to an old time party at a friend's house. There were maybe half a dozen fiddles, plus banjos, etc. Big jam. I was playing my Duff. I played a few tunes and thought, well, this is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Another vote for tenor banjo, though of course I'm biased as I'm a banjo player! Maybe your mandolin playing friend is listening to the wrong banjo players - lots of wonderful players out there who...
  15. Thread: A new F-5

by j. condino
    Replies
    Views

Re: A new F-5

Beautiful Graham.

I wish more people understood and accepted the zero fret!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

Great
  17. Replies
    Views

That song has been on my mind non-stop ever since I heard his passing. In particular the lyrics from the chorus feels particularly poignant to me:

Take my hand and dry your tears, babe
    Take my...
  18. Replies
    Views

To this day, anytime I drive over a bridge crossing the Shannon I say "The Broad Majestic Shannon..." out loud, it's always the first thing that comes to mind when I see that expanse of water!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Do instruments appreciate in value over time?

Yes and no. I wouldn’t go into any instrument purchase with a desire for, expectation of or plan for monetary gain, however high end the instrument and however much time may pass.

Mankind has an...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

I agree that this type of situation isn't unique to bluegrass, and I hope you find some like minded people to pick with Swampy :)

Personally, I'm very happy if someone turns up to an acoustic...
  21. Thread: DolinmanX

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Hey thanks John! yes, what you see is what it is :)
  22. Thread: DolinmanX

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wogOQuzyk
  23. Replies
    Views

You are an inspiration to me! Your love for melody, simplicity and sincerity shine through all your videos. I turn 70 next year and arthritis has affected my string instrument abilities over the past...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hi Folks! Still healing this left hand, so here's something I've been using to keep the right honest. This is Nino Rotas' tune originally used in the 1958 Italian film Fortunella and then of course...
  25. Replies
    Views

Acadian Mandolin -- Louis Arsenault

Here are some Acadian (East Coast French-Canadian) musicians from New Brunswick, including Louis Arsenault doing a fine performance on mandolin. They're playing a medley, of which the first two tunes...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4