Search:

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Most people under the age of 40 wouldn`t know bluegrass if it came up and kicked them in their butt...I guess the folks that do the nominations at IBMA are all under the age of 40...

Willie
  2. Re: Best skills to learn to quickly be able to jam/play with othe

The best advice I ever received was to learn as many songs as I could and learn to play them in a key that didn`t use too many open strings, then you would be able to play them in just about every...
  3. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

I`m with Banjo Boy, I thought this site was the one place where we could voice our opinions and not get raked over the coals too badly, we are all intitled to our opinions and do like to express...
  4. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

+1 for what Ivan said....It is a bluegrass contest and sure some of them do play bluegrass when the promoters book them for a festival but with this "new bluegrass " sound it is hard to define where...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky vs Northfield

It would be nice to hear a sound test of the Ky 1500 compared to the Northfields, I have heard that the fellow that oversees the Northfield building also at one time worked for Saga so he may be...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Whats wrong with my mandolin?

As I have asked before...Why don`t folks let us know where they are located, there just may be someone that could take a look at this thing in person and see that it just might not be a huge problem...
  7. Re: Column: What Happens When Boundaries Bend?

DrBluegrass is repeating just about word for word everything that I have been saying on here for the past 8 years...Play what ever you like but don`t call it bluegrass if it isn`t traditional...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: First Song?

Spud, I met Hi-Lo Brown at a festival some years ago and he played Stone Wall Around Your Heart for me in a jam and I have played it ever since...I neve heard anyone but him sing it....I always...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Jesse!

I figured that Tim, He is one of my mandolin idols, he showed me the trick in cross picking which I cannot do any more, not like I used to anyway...His grandson does it better or at least as well as...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: First Song?

I still remember it like it was yesterday...My first song was an old Roy Acuff song called "Low And Lonely"...Funny thing is about 6 months ago I got a request to play it at one of our shows and I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: super glue stained spruce

Martin made some guitars with a burst, I saw it on a few D-35`s anyway, I don`t know if they were special orders or not but I don`t think so...So burst it...

Willie
  12. Re: don't shoot me....another string question

Not all mandolins will sound the same using a certain brand of strings, I have been trying to find the "Holy Grail" set of strings for years and find that I have to use a different brand on each...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky mandolin price ???

I find the Kentucky mandolins KM-900`s and above to be such a bargain that people selling them can ask more for them. AND GET IT...Great mandolins and probably the best bang for the buck out there...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ultimate Bluegrass All Star lineup

The original Bluegrass Album Band ain`t so bad are they? I could listen to them all day and all night...

Willie
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Six hour road trip!

I still have quite a collection of vinyl records and I do convert them over to CDs and the hiss and needle noises are on the CDs so I enjoy that sound myself...I assume we are telling our age when we...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

I assume that a lot of the pros try different brand mandolins when they visit a shop that sells all models and someone just took that photo of Ronnie, When I visit a shop I play every mandolin that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Six hour road trip!

Tim, If you had a satellite radio you would have bluegrass (or so they call it) all the way going and coming on your trip...

My vehicle also has about 12 CDs stashed in the glove compartment...
  18. Re: Best Bluegrass Band in New Hampshire/Vermont?

Olaf and Allen...I did put the word "Oak" in there when I shouldn`t have...I saw Mac and his son down in Florida about 3-4 years ago which of course was after Hazel passed away and they were still...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Mandolin Setup

In regards to what was mentioned about Duffy`s F-12, John did run his strings high but he also changed the pitch on the neck angle so that the bridge was high but the strings weren`t all that high on...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The rules according to Bill Monroe

One thing for sure is that Monroe didn`t like others to play the music the same as he did, go and get you own style he said but in my mind because so many others did copy his music is why bluegrass...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: buzzing E string

I found the same thing on one mandolin and I took a four inch straight edge and ran it up the strings in between the two E strings from the bridge toward the nut and found the first fret was not...
  22. Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

I have mandolins with both fretboards and go back nd forth with no problems..NOW...When I first got the radius one I found it different but did get use to it.....some one mentioned that even with a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: IBMA in Raleigh through 2021

I have been waiting for them to bring it to the Maryland area, I used to go just about every year when it was at Owensboro but it seems that it has become way to commercial now days, and the voting...
  24. Re: Hearing yourself without playing too loud in a band

If everyone in the group uses an electronic tuner then you should be in tune, if your mandolin is set up correctly, and just ask what key the song is in...Never be afraid to play as loud as you need...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Which one would you take?

I have failed to understand that after these perils subside people go back and rebuild a house in the same place, the mud slides in Calif. the floods in Texas, New Orleans etc...I would get to higher...
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4