Re: Top 10 (12?) choro to learn

In practice I always return to these exciting pieces:
    Gostosinho
    Bole Bole
    Murmurando
  3. Replies
    Views

National innards

a bit of a surprise to see what's beneath the cone of the modern National mandolin:

4. Re: Solace - A Mexican Serenade by Scott Joplin (1909)

good choice of a Joplin piece, gorgeous at that tempo
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: dust bunnies

Tone balls! The first one I saw was about the size of a golf ball, and had that same compound structure. It reminded me of an image of a uranium atom from an old physics book. Awhile ago I heard a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: May Jazz tune of the month: Body and Soul

Having fallen behind on my clarinet practice and being caught unawares a few times, I recently hit on an exercise for visiting all the keys: I play Body and Soul a couple times in Db, then again in...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Eddie Condon

I believe Eddie Condon played mostly plectrum guitar and banjo: 26" scale, tuned CGBD. Mike's original impression of a very long scale in that first video seems right. In the suitcase quartet it's...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Stainless steel refret

There are two factors here, hardness and elasticity. Too much elasticity (call it "springback") is a problem unless the fret has the exact final shape before installation. Or it's held in place...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The Whippoorwills

Roy Lanham and the Wipporwills were the house band for hundreds of Smiley Burnette shows. The show was mostly cornpone, but the band would play hot jazz standards of the day (~1950-1953), cramming...
  10. Re: Best source for pre-slotted ebony mandolin fingerboards

I persuaded LMI to slot guitar boards from both ends, to get 2 mandolin boards from each. You do have to check length, scale and # of frets carefully.
  11. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Metal bodies are soldered together before being polished and plated. The stripping process acts differently on the plating, the solder joints and the parent metal. It will be a holy mess by the...
  12. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

A plating shop can reverse the polarity in the tank and eat away the plating, leaving a matte texture. For replating you must remove 100% of the old plating. One reason this is seldom done is that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 3D printing radius dishes?

A CNC router shop up the road from me uses MDF and similar materials for large intricate profiling jobs. The surface finish with MDF is inferior, but they have a neat trick: after the final pass,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Any tenor banjo players - early jazz style

I thought it was in the liner notes, but looking at them now I don't see it. I might have got it from the essay here: http://www.redhotjazz.com/elmer.html

The notes by the LP producer Chris...
  15. Thread: ball ends

by John Morton
    Replies
    Views

Re: ball ends

I was in fact thinking there must be a big player in the market for Daddario to be distributing these. Ovation must be it.

Yes, a resophonic. I made a lovely hook tailpiece and cover, but put...
  16. Re: Henrique Cazes cavaquinho. This is absolutely beautiful!

Henrique Cazes narrates and participates in a video survey and travelogue about the cavaquinho. Four 1 hr. episodes. Brush up on your Portuguese, or at least skip between music segments....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: rubner tuners

Here's my machinist take on this: it is true that 29/32" is odd, but in the world of English units there is a custom of designing with fractional dimensions, even 32nds if there is a critical...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Orleans String Bands

String bands were mostly a rural phenomenon - 6 7/8 was a rare exception. The proto-jazz bands featured violin soloists, but they were squeezed out by louder instruments. Banjo, guitar and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I'm just ready with 3 bodies to take to the plating shop, with some tailpieces, coverplates and handrests. I mustn't forget the minor pieces - there's a $150 minimum charge.
    On left is a...
  20. Thread: New !!!

by John Morton
    Replies
    Views

Re: New !!!

mportinari, many thanks for showing us this work from Hamilton, and to Hamilton for making the sheet music available. I'm especially taken by the pieces where the Baroque roots are showing, but it's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Building a guilele

Sure, it will work. Much depends on scale length, pitch and your choice of strings. I have made some steel strung guitars with 19" scale. (btw my stuff is all resophonic.) I tuned them to A, and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: belt/disc sander - which grit?

I have disc, belt and handheld sanders, but what gets the most use by far is my Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander. I have 50 grit belts and spindles, great for hogging a hard curly maple neck...
  23. Replies
    Views

Paulinho Da Viola film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWCjaWRZfE
    Oh, to understand Portuguese! This is a marvelous 1hr. 25min. film centering on a major figure of choro. Fortunately it is sprinkled throughout with many...