Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

I think we need a Saturday Morning show - this old instrument ( like this old house) where a bunch of old luthiers show younger guys how to do it rights, probably have to adapt to non thick Boston...
  2. Replies
    Views

Shout out to Bruce Weber

I just got off the phone with Bruce Weber about a mandolin issue that had nothing to do with any of his mandolins. It was a mandolin from another maker that had an issue. By the way, I do have a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns' mandolins before The Red?

I remember when Jethro did the workshop here in Duluth years ago he was playing a Gibson F5 (not sure what model) and when he was talking about mandolins and what to look for he pointed to his F5 and...
  4. Stringjoy Foxwood mandolin strings first impressions.

I was one of the lucky winners of the Stringjoy mandolin string giveaway a couple weeks ago.
    I chose the coated Foxwood 11-40s to try out. My favorite strings of the past were Daddario EXLs,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Signal Chain Order

If you need the preamp it will have to go first. After that it doesn't make as much difference.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko: Heart of the Heartland

Heart of the Heartland is one of my favorite tunes.
    Peter Ostroushko wrote so many beautiful tunes!
    We started to play it in our band recently.
    I have just made a video of it.

7. Replies
    Views

he's at it again

what I dig about Aaron's playing and teaching is he puts so many possibilities on display, both musically and mandolinistically. For instance:

there's more than one way to play any given chord
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: EQ Pedal for Live Shows?

Not an EQ pedal as such, but the Fishman Platinum Stage has a 3-band EQ with sweepable mids. I turn the bass right down (nothing there but noise on a mandolin), then put the mid freq at "quarter to...
  9. Replies
    Views

I have an old Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and I think it works well but dont have anything to compare it to. It is a 3 band EQ with extra refinement on the middle band. My pick up is a piezo like the K&K...
  10. Replies
    Views

I agree with Nathan 100%. I use the GE-7 constantly at every gig and every rehearsal. I use a gentle smile curve, cut the mids bosst the highs and lows. I leave the level slider on 0, but you can...
  11. Replies
    Views

I've found the Boss GE-7 seven band EQ pedal to be very helpful on my electric, specifically boosting that weak E string. I imagine it would do the trick for your situation as well.
  12. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers & Watchhouse

If this has already been posted then I’m sorry. If not, then I am not sorry.
    This is mando goodness...

https://youtu.be/OC2Cr1d6Y60
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Earle Interview

Man... divorce. It can be such a tough process.

I'm waiting to hear if Steve's management is okay with me posting a clip here. In the meantime, here's a transcription of the segment during which...
  14. Replies
    Views

Randy Wood Two-Point at Carter's

Well, there are collectibles and then there are collectibles. I have no comment on the price (although surely someone else will), but go find another one of these! Don't know if this was actually...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin

It is simply a quick explanation of how moving the closed pattern up or down the neck will give you a different scale. By lowering the first finger to the 4th fret and starting on the B...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm amazed by the Tone Gard

I've had a tonegard on my varnished Gilchrist for years and years with nary a trace on the finish. Also the '23 Gibson A2.

Billy
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm amazed by the Tone Gard

I've had one on a varnished Gibson F5 - for more than 15 years, I guess - no damage. And it stays on all of the time - in the case, on the stand, etc.
    I only take it off every 2-3 years to change...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: aging fingers just can't cut it anymore

I used to play a lot with Lloyd LaPlant, who is a great builder and almost 100 now. He talked about this often, namely that his fingers just didn't do what they used to do anymore. To adjust he and...
  19. In The Weeds with Chris Thile, a new series!

I had a blast studying Tony Rice's playing and hopefully was able to share a small insight into what he does. I realized I didn't have a name for that series and I thought that should change for the...
  20. MP3 of the Day - Waltz of the Dreams by Magnus Zetterlund from th

MP3 of the Day

From the Mandolin Cafe MP3 Library.

Song title: Waltz of the Dreams
    By: Waltz of the Dreams by Magnus Zetterlund from the album Magnuz Zetterlund
  21. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was the anniversary of Peter Ostroushko's passing and I just wanted to post today in memory of him and his music. If you are looking for beautiful music to inspire you...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Blackberry Blossom

I've always considered the version recorded on Tony Rice's Manzanita to be the gold standard by which all others are compared.
  23. Replies
    Views

Daughter's New Mandolin!

Morning, Y'all!

I had to share the excitement from this morning's unboxing of Maddy's brand spanking new Ratliff Mandolin. The UPS guy didn't show up until after bedtime last night so she woke up...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

Lloyd calls them "Lloyds lumps"
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Two mandolins from the same maker

Here is my pair, both built by Hans Brentrup: a 2003 M21V and a 2007 23V (natural top w/blackburst back & sides).
Page 1 of 2 1 2