Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is It Possible to Fake It?

I don’t know if this would be considered “faking it” but I don’t ever have a pre-loaded solo in my head for a jam but I do practice playing lead with recordings and also check out what others have...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Easiest Jam Tunes to Memorize

Here’s two 2-chord (1,5) that are easy to memorize. The first is “Get In Line Brother”. The second is “Where the soul of Man Never Dies”.

https://youtu.be/bCcy93xA3JI
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Easiest Jam Tunes to Memorize

Sherry, when you say easy “tune” to memorize, do you mean instrumental? Also, when you say memorize do you mean chord structure and/or a note for note solo? Or are you including songs? If it’s songs,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stops Question

I found the entire guide to be very useful. If you skim it she lets you know what parts you might want to skip if you want to get right to the nitty gritty.it gave me a good understand of where to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

Sherry, I’ve been following this thread for awhile now and I have to agree. Hate is a strong word, but I surely prefer not playing chords. I can do it. I just rather not. I use the Og’s method. The...
  6. Re: In search of a resource for learning about Double Stops

Her new fingerboard course covers the most easily accessible double stops
  7. Thread: Breedlove AM OF

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove AM OF

Several years ago, when looking for my first mandolin, I followed this forums advice to look for a used A style in order to get the best bang for my buck. I wound up with an ‘09 Oregon Breedlove A...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: recommend me an acoustic bass

+1 on the Taylor. It’s not super loud w/o an amp but it’s ok for living room play with one other instrument. My hubby prefers it to the ukebass that he had (kala) which was much quieter. Also he...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning Song Variations?

I see you’re already taking lessons, but this is something that’s working well for me.
    https://pegheadnation.com/string-school/courses/bluegrass-mandolin-fingerboard-method/
    Sharon’s course walks...
  10. Thread: Timing issues

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Re: Timing issues

Alan, I had not heard that song before, so I listened to several other versions after I listened to the one you posted. What interesting timing in many traditional versions.I would find it so...
  11. Thread: Timing issues

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

I am enjoying all the responses too. I am not one to mind some drift in a thread. My original post was to try to understand unusual timing and my clarifications were to say that I appreciate original...
  12. Thread: Timing issues

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Simon, in Hello Stranger it was the irregular call and response of the vocalists that threw me. From the very first “put your lovin hand in mind”, it seemed to me that the second singer was coming in...
  13. Re: What do you do when you're Just. Not. Feeling it?

If I’m looking for motivation, I listen to music. I might work on some tiny goal, like learning a little lick. If I need a complete break from playing, I clean up my music library.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Slow Jam Tips Needed

I’m thinking of jams that I have attended where folks play out of a songbook. Everyone sings and strums together, no breaks.
  15. Re: When did you realize mandolin was your primary instrument?

This is me. I dove in and it became my primary instrument after about a year and I prefer it any time I’m playing with others. For solo performances though, I still pick up a guitar. I think it...
  16. Thread: Kentucky Waltz

by Bunnyf
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Waltz

Love this tune too. It’s one that I especially like for practicing tremolo, as well. Thanks for sharing this great rendition. I really enjoyed it.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Major chord arpeggios

This is really the same approach that Sharon Gilchrist uses in her new “fretboard” method PHN course. You combine an understanding of where the root notes are found in a 1,4 &5 progression and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build a solo?

This guy covers a lot of ideas for building a break (kinda Don Julin style).
    https://youtu.be/5pJSNOipQR0
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

Sherry, you can get pretty far with the 3 finger g- chop 523 (root high) moved across and up and down; the 233 shape (root middle) and 224 shape (root bass). They move around nicely to play in any...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Tenor Guitar Day

My ‘36 Kalamazoo TG is a flat top sunburst.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap Button Recommendations

I love these buttons. No screw showing. Lots of wood choices and options like MOP.
    Easy install w/ tapping tool.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: On-line guitar lesson suggestions

I love Banjo Ben for bluegrass mando, banjo and guitar and membership gives you access to all three. He's an excellent instructor and the videos and supporting material, play along etc and very well...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tied notes in TablEdit - How?

Thanks for this last post. I was just tabbing out a piece of music and was wondering why I couldn't get a tie in some places but could get them in others. Now I realize that the places it didn't work...
  24. Re: What under $1200 used tenors would you look at?

Charley, I did!

It was way under my budget and in pristine condition except for a bit of shrinkage on the pick guard. I like the scale and the neck and most importantly, the sound. The neck was...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: How to learn by ear

Just finished watching the video and am doing very similar training myself. I haven't used the slow dower apps (I do know that youtube has a free slowdown feature built right into the video playback,...
Page 1 of 2 1 2