Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of the kindest, wittiest, talented and finest humans to walk the planet, and a legend in the music community. You left people and their musical instruments better for knowing you. Rest easy Frank.
  2. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

it's nice to know about different techniques to use as desired and sounds like you're a pretty experienced picker. My take is it's art and you should enjoy it, so do what you want.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: California BG Assoc. - Summer Music Camp

I'll be there, see you in Grass Valley.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Great suggestions already mentioned, several I would have named. I'll add:
    - Infamous Stringdusters
    - AJ Lee and Blue Summit
    - Mile Twelve
    - Downtown Mountain Boys
    - Also another recommendation...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gryphon Strings Visit Yesterday

[QUOTE=Marcus CA;1896146]I haven't been there in a few months, but the major difference is that the acoustic guitar area is now Taylorland. They have about 130 acoustics right now, and 80 of those...
  6. Replies
    Views

Gryphon Strings Visit Yesterday

Visited Gryphon yesterday. They have a pretty impressive mandolin inventory. I only checked out 5 of the Northfields (they have more), which they have more of in the store than on their website....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleary Lake Fall Colors

Very nice, thanks for creating and posting this.

Might be a nice standing category for the Cafe, 2-ish minute videos of highlights of members' locales accompanied by original mandolin music.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner and Kimble

Good deal, looks great. If mine hadn't come with Waverlys I'd probably do the same. I have Rubners on a mando and they're excellent as well.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

I don't experiment much with strings. I used J74's on my mandolins for years, then got a free set of Straight Up Strings, and have used them ever since. Like them a lot.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: CHOP MELODY STYLE - Jingle Bells

Jesper-

That was excellent and fun, and as others have said, inspirational. I think I learned something from just watching once, although there was so much going on, yet it looked so fluid, that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Nesmith RIP

Sad news, condolences to his family. "Some of Shelly's Blues" and so many more greats. He touched many with his art.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: favorite festival tent?

i highly recommend the REI Grand Hut 4 for what you describe, and always get a tent sized a person or two from what you expect to use if for. From my experience, like serving sizes on food packages,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Asheville, NC Area Music Shops?

I've been to Acoustic Corner down the road in Black Mountain a couple times. Nice folks, good selection.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish impact on resonance?

Well, I suspect there'll be a bunch of replies here, so I'll start by saying mandolins with many finishes, probably tot spit too, can sound good. But generally nitrocellulose may not be quite as...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Welcome to the forum.

I don't tend to change strings much but learn here on the forum a lot about the different alternatives.

I used J74's a long time, then a couple years ago switched to...
  16. Re: A mando track with my Ruhland F5 on this cover tune.

Thanks for sending that along. Really enjoyed your singing and playing. And your Ruhland sounds fabulous. Bell-like. Great sounding guitar too.
  17. Replies
    Views

Happy Anniversary Mandolin Cafe!

Scott-

Congratulations! You and the Mandolin Cafe team have created something really special, and valuable. I know I'm not alone in appreciating how much this means musically and socially. One of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Me and Bobby McGee

Corbin, really great editing and playing. Really enjoyed your vocal arrangement and singing too. Interesting, tasteful and true to the song.
  19. Re: David Grisman - 'Home is Where the Heart is'

Not to mention Herb Pedersen, one of my all time favorite harmony singers and banjo players. The whole band, material, mixing, energy. Just stellar.
  20. Re: David Grisman - 'Home is Where the Heart is'

Correction to my earlier post, the album is "Here Today."

Sheesh. . .
  21. Re: David Grisman - 'Home is Where the Heart is'

Yeah, this is such a classic CD set.

Another classic of that general time is "Home Today." One of my all time favorite bluegrass albums.
  22. Thread: Cazadero

by Luna Pick
    Replies
    Views

Re: Cazadero

Really great tune. Paul Shelasky is an amazing musician, and darn funny dude.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Surf's Up! New J.L. Smith (4-stringer)

Uh oh. . .

That about breaks the cool barrier. Nice.
  24. Re: Open Back / Old Time Banjos - Comparisons to Mando Builders

We're in a golden age of luthery. I think these are all fine open backs, roughly in the same price range, maybe with Pisgah and Rickard (generally) slightly less. But you probably know all this....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dreaming of a Great A5 under $6000

I'd recommend Kimble as well, and Ruhland. I don't know what Matt is asking for A5's right now, but they were, and maybe still are, a great value. Matt, like Will, builds amazing mandolins. As do the...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4