Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tracks of San Francisco Italian Mandolin Masters

After almost 5 years inaction, I've started this project up again, this time on YouTube because it was so much easier to organize tracks into play lists and edit them. Plus there's more traffic on YT...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Tenor Banjo Recordings

I just snagged Angelina's first album that's not too easy to find, An Traidisiun Beo with her father Peter and Martin Quinn. It's great!
  3. Re: Tenor Banjo String Gauge (CGDA v GDAE octave)

Thanks for the detailed reply!
  4. Re: Tenor Banjo String Gauge (CGDA v GDAE octave)

David I'm curious, do find that scale length makes a big difference with all those tunings and gauges?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vitti 'Na Crozza

I'm so glad to see people enjoying Vitti 'Na Crozza! At 14:39 is my friend Kathy Sherak singing a shortened version of the song. Besides being a great mandolin player with the Aurora Mandolin...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist and Heiden - Big Indian Blues

It's hard for me to hear the differences! They both sound great. A lot of how well an instrument sounds is the player, of course. Maybe that's what I'm hearing. Well done.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Music Documentary Recommendations

I don't think I've seen High Lonesome listed yet. Also, Spout Wings and Fly about Tommy Jarrell.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding Parts for Banjolin

I've bought mandolin banjo bridges from Elderly. They are not repros, but they did a great job. And I'm another vote for Smakula.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish tenor banjo

You are so right. I've just been yearning for a Clareen lately and it was on my mind when I was typing! You are so lucky to have had a lesson!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish tenor banjo

I agree with Shaun Garrity above, having also taken the tenor banjo journey recently and finally deciding that 19 frets works better. There's something about the longer scale that fits with the GDAE...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

I used to buy comic books and candy from Rudy in San Francisco when I was a kid. His store was called Rudy's Book Nook. He was always behind the counter with his black oval hole Gibson, with staff...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: A Willing Vessel

I played this instrument at the Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival either last year or the year before. It was outstanding! One of the best mandolas I've played. To my ear mandolas can often sound buzzy...
  13. Re: American flat top/back mandolin - for Italian style playing

I used to play my Larsen flat back for Italian tunes. I thought it worked great. However it sounded very different from an Italian style bowlback. It has a short scale and low action, which is great...
  14. Re: Red Haired Boy - Did Monroe ever record a version?

Never heard Mr. Monroe play it, but Mike Compton played a tune with John Heartford called Shove That Pig’s Foot Further in the Bed that had some similarities on the Down From the Mountain CD. I would...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Allesi tuners

I know Adam Tanner has put Allesi's on some of his vintage Gibsons and raves about them.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Bluegrass in Canada

Wow thanks for posting. does anybody know where we can hear more of these guys?
  17. Re: Country Mandolin players in the Honky-Tonk era

The Armstrong twins had a bit more of a honky tonk feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqy0bb1_III&feature=share
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Valbert, where did you find such a beautiful instrument? I don’t see the crack, it must be a hairline.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Way to Clean and Old Mandolin

Thanks Ranald, your thread was just a little earlier this month! I should have been able find it with a search! Thanks again to all the respondents.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Top 5 Sam Bush tracks

I don’t know if it’s still available anywhere, but he did an album when he was a teenager with Alan Munde on banjo called Poor Richard’s Almanac. The quality is funky but his picking (even back then)...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson oval hole

I imagine the appreciation of the value has cancelled out the difference between what you bought it for then vs. what it’s worth now 20 years later. If I’m making any sense.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

The tone in the video is awesome! Way more rich and fuller than I expected.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Right Hand Technique

One of the best analysis I’ve seen of the right hand that was very useful for me was Radim Zenkl’s mandolin primer video. I was trying to build up my speed. He breaks down the various techniques of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Influences

David, growing up in New Orleans did you ever hear the 6 & 7/8 String Band or similar string jazz music that featured mandolin? They were a big influence on me.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Satan is Real movie

But I thought it was recast with Michael Shannon?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3