Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab notation qustion

The fingering the tab example looks awkward to me but I assume you are just asking us whether the notation itself is clear. I would say the 2nd measure makes more sense. The first does not make sense...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab notation qustion

That's correct. I don't think you need the dashes.
  3. Chris Thile's fingerings for B minor Allemande (solo violin)

Hey y'all,

I am working on a project for Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin in which I work up fingerings for each piece along with explanations on why I chose these fingerings....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Barry Harris #14 Tune Up

https://youtu.be/VPSbn2ERZg4

PDF file here:

Tune Up played by Miles

https://youtu.be/sUg1Dpsd6fw
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin classical literature

In the context of this thread, there may be some interest in the original Nakano index files as a subset of published music for mandolin. I've converted the original HTML index files into a single...
  6. Replies
    Views

Here's a question for some long-timers. This probably goes back close to 20 years when Norman Levine was still with us. He authored a book or collection of some type--which I never saw nor heard much...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yes.

Many of the forms are Da Capo aria type ternary form or "march" form, for example. With contrasting key changes for each section, and counterpoint on the 2nd parts.

That's what we...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 hours of practice a day?

I think Ted Eschliman recommends two hours of listening to one of practice. It certainly helped me.
  9. Replies
    Views

Hey! I'm "Album of the year"!!!

The Spanish independent music association awarded us with the best "world music/folk/fusion" album of the year!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7kDsEekPU&t=9917s
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Original Jazz CD Preview

CGDAE. I stick with mandolin scale so I can reach close-voiced chords not possible on longer scales. This project was begun as jazz viola, so not much chording in it, but in my other jazz playing I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Cross picking by way of Bach

I read the Tristan Scroggins interview and his discussion of banjo-style cross picking. I remember a couple years ago at a bluegrass camp workshop I played the opening arpeggios of Bach G Prelude on...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Blog entry: Finger exercises

These finger exercises are great. Thank you for your hard work!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Killer Technique for Mandolin

Mark, just label it "Satan's interval" with no other info and leave it at that.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 10 string solid body Octave Mandolin?

Basically a five string guitar with 1 3/8 inch nut.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 10 string solid body Octave Mandolin?

GD Armstrong, for one:
    http://www.newbergmusiccenter.com/bouzouki/index.html
    http://www.gdarmstrong.com/
  16. Re: So...what would you do with an octave mando?

Need these statements be mutually exclusive? You could absolutely play the same type of fiddle tunes on an octave, albeit with altered fingerings, and explorations of different instruments require no...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice regimen for a new player

The other silver bullet is practice; nothing beats it. And, play/learn stuff you like.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: All interval Tetra-chords et al

Nope :))

Right now, my brain only has room for the major tetrachord thinking, and struggles with simple tonal music and understanding music theory starting with the major scale and building...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Ol' Time Atonal

Great! Would love to hear everybody take solos! The John Cage piano solo was perfect! Thanks for posting this.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How many tunes is too much to start with?

The answer is 42. :)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Wrist Placement

The pinky seems stronger the closer it is to the ring finger. By deploying the ring finger, the pinky is not that far away.

I have taken to thinking of the pinky not as an independent finger,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What's a Chord Melody?

I am curious as to what this turns out to be, too. I call it all doublestops, even when they are triple stops and no matter what the ratio of doublestops per melody notes is (I never reach 100%...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Memorizing the neck

That 2 note pair will function as a double stop that substitutes for the larger chord[/B]. Take a 4 finger G "chop" chord, 3-2-5-7 (from the E course coming down). 3-2-x-x, x-2-5-x, and x-x-5-7 are...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Non Mandolin Jazz

...and if we're talking non-mandolin jazz, don't forget Django on his birthday!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Non Mandolin Jazz

Don’t forget another Jazz instrument, the human voice. The Jazz vocalists are important members of the Jazz family.
    Start, of course, with Louis Armstrong. He set the standard for which all others...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4