Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

Yes! Ostroushko had insane control of his tremolo, with beautiful tone and expression.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios in Bluegrass

For application in a Monroe setting, you can find quite a few straight arpeggio runs in his instrumentals. For example, the B part of "Old Daingerfield" is just climbing arpeggios over the A, D and...
  3. Thread: Rythm

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rythm

I think this is the main roadblock - advanced rhythm concepts are very difficult to describe verbally. They resist being broken down into the very basic mathematical language that we can use with...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Any online Newgrass Teachers/Courses?

You might want to take a look at Peghead Nation's courses taught by Joe K. Walsh. I've been subscribed to The Advancing Mandolinist for a while now, and it's been best investment I've made in mando...
  5. Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

For me, the progression started with thinking about key/scale, then moved on to figuring out how to play basic melodies and phrases out of double-stops, and moving through chord progressions with...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Safe(-ish) stand/s for fiddle + mandolin?

I use this one. Very stable and close to the ground, plus easy to carry.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Carpal Tunnel surgery?

My ability to hold a pick was mostly limited by the bandage & wrap that was on my right hand for 10 days or so. After that came off, holding a pick was no big deal. The real test will be fretting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Carpal Tunnel surgery?

I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right (picking) hand back in August. The procedure was very quick (outpatient) and I was back home within a few hours. The incision is very small these...
  9. Re: Best way to approach learning chords, vamping on mandolin?

BTW, the best video I've seen for thinking about basic mandolin chords is Mike Marshall's Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players. Here's a clip from it -
  10. Re: Best way to approach learning chords, vamping on mandolin?

The thing with chords is that they can be as easy or as complex as you desire, and the easy ones can be just as effective at their job as the complex ones. Personally, I prefer closed chord shapes,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Is It Possible to Fake It?

Absolutely. Although I wouldn't call it "faking". There are sooo many ways to think about soloing, and the chord tone approach is only one. You can also just think in terms of scales, especially a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Way to Practice Moveable Chords???

This is essentially how I learned to move chord shapes around. And it really is that simple - get the feel for how I-IV-V works in the key of G using 3-finger chop chords (no pinky), then move those...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Three string chords - good and bad?

Personally, I find three note chords preferable to four-noters in most situations. Easier to play, quicker to move and adapt, cleaner sound and definition (IMO) - the list goes on. I hate to say...
  14. Thread: Apollo Picks !

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Picks !

Just chiming in to say that I recently received a 1.5mm PEEK (A? H? whatever the larger triangle is). I got it to replace a similar PEEK pick (different maker) that I had lost. I'm loving it! It's...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Please School Me On Mandolin Strings

Phosphor bronze have the classic sound. They can sound very bright and chimey when brand new. Some like this, others prefer the tone after a week or so. Life span is very subjective, but average is...
  16. Replies
    Views

I can't reply to all of them, but IME the Monels have a more fundamental tone than PB, not as jangly, fewer overtones. Nickel is closer to Monel than to PB.
  17. Replies
    Views

D'Addario seem to be the standard that are typically used for comparison. J74 used to be the standard phosphor bronze mediums, but I feel like they've changed that designation recently. (Sorry I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Best use of bulk time?

This is the TableEdit library at Mandozine.com. It has thousands of tabs and can be searched by genre. You can use this Tefview file viewer (a free download) to view the Tabs.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Clipping/Cutting Excess String

My method uses no tools. I just bend the excess length of string back and forth until metal fatigue causes it to snap right at the post. You'd be surprised at how quickly the metal fatigues and...
  20. Thread: Fret Size

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fret Size

Not knocking anyone's preference or experience, but I'm having a hard time understanding how taller or wider frets could make anything more "cramped". Logic tells me that the scale remains the same,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic scales

One of the beautiful things about the mandolin is that is so predictable - once you begin to see the patterns on the fretboard, you see that they repeat predictably from one end of the fretboard to...
  22. Replies
    Views

What Jim said. The first challenge in improvising is avoiding the notes that don't sound "right", even if they are in the scale. Pentatonics do this for you automatically. If you can find ways to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: pointy vs round picks.

I always find it funny how tastes can change overtime. I started out using very pointy picks (e.g., Dunlop Jazz). I then gradually moved into rounder picks, ending up with the Golden Gates. Now...
  24. Replies
    Views

Niles' books are some of the best you'll find. Highly recommended!
  25. Thread: Fake Book

by onassis
    Replies
    Views

Fake Book

What Fake Book are you guys using? The only one I have is the Django version, 200 songs, but I often find myself looking for things it doesn't have. It doesn't have to be free, I'm willing to pay...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4