Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Culpeper Music Center

I live just down the road from Culpeper Music and echo the above comments and observations. Its a very friendly place and Bishop is truly a master luthier. He has worked on two of my mandolins; a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Soloing - Bluegrass style

We're all on the same page. It takes a lot of time and patience. Slowing everything down is a must and here are some others
    1. Learn the major scales in the keys I'd G,C,D,E,A,F, B, and Bb. Be able...
  3. Re: Trip to Nashville today to look at mandolins

Mike, I was at Carter yesterday and agree with your evaluation of the 2006 Gilchrist. It was, to my ear at least, the best on the wall. I also believe the Altman's were right up there. However I was...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Big Mon Honey Tortoise

This theme seems to be consistent with many of us. It has been difficult for me to put down my new (to me) Mowry F5 since receiving it last week. Maybe the increased practice time has improved...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

Alternating up and down pick strokes is pretty important. The Monroe style being something of an exception.
  6. Re: Report Substantiates North Korea Musical Instrument Concerns

Grisman renames EMD to DMZ.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers - Webcast TONIGHT!

Thile's A was a Lawrence Smart.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of Ellis Mandolins for sale

I spoke with the owner of #251 today. It's an A5 and knock dead gorgeous. I had to start wearing a bib to catch the drool.
  9. Re: My wife doesn't believe there is such as thing as MAS

Looks to me like you are well on your way to proving it yourself! Well done!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you talk me off the MAS ledge?

Look at it this way... If you spent the same amount of money on golf lessons and equipment your handicap would not go down that much but if you spend the money on a mandolin and lessons your playing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Newb without experience

Yes, you do have a chance of getting good. A very good chance. But I will always remember a throw away line Emory Lester tossed out in a class one day; he said "speed is earned." IT TAKES TIME! And...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: In the white

Before any finish has been applied to the natural wood.
  13. Re: Who are builders who, consistently, build clean F5s?

Must give a shout out to Andrew Mowry. His work is beautiful.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Not your typical Mandolin/dog thread.

Keep them out of reach of dogs and children. If something can go whacky with a dog (or child for that matter) it probably will.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How many mandolins is considered to many ?

When John David Rockefeller was asked how much money was enough he answered "just a little bit more" .
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson head luthiers

I just got a call from "Picker's Supply" in Fredericksburg, Va. They took in a signed 1998 F5-G with a signed label. I will be going Saturday to take a look at it and might be able to fill in one of...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Shirt-tailing an ad on the Cafe

Is there any way we can send this thread to political and military leaders across the globe to illustrate how civilized people come to a peaceful resolution?
  18. Re: He is... the most interesting mandolin player in the world...

Lloyd Loar asked him for acoustic advice.

He invented the material from which Blue Chip are made.

His perfect pitch made headstock tuners completely unnecessary.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Scalloped fretboard extension

Iron, I just returned from a week of classes with John Reischman who (arguably) may have the finest sounding Loar out there and he replaced the flat fretboard with a radiused and scooped the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Swannanoa fiddle mando,banjo week

If you don't bring it and find out you need it someone will get it for you!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Right arm position

Tension abates with tune familiarity. Hands float when playing requires no thinking. Playing requires no thinking with repetition. Repetition....well that's just a bunch of wonderful practice time.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Grab a lesson before I go

Adam Steffey is in Johnson City Tennessee and might be willing to give it a run.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Fretboard

Yep, it's pretty important, particularly if you plan on building improvisational skill in any key. If you know the key of a song and where that root note appears on the fretboard, can play a basic...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Going blond

You have done a great job. I love the way it looks and would venture to guess it is the only blonde "The Loar" on the planet. I'm with the others who suggest value (though not a priority) may have...
  25. Re: Where to move to in US? (Yes, there's mandolin content!)

+1 Asheville
Page 1 of 2 1 2