Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Leather Handle for G&S case?

I have just bought for a paltry $25 a mid-30s Harmony Supertone mandolin with a juicy crack on its back with a contemporary Geib chipboard case for a whopping $25. The handle is just fine but it will...
  2. Replies
    Views

I see you have started a thread at Vintage Musical Instrument Cases Facebook community and that's where you are most likely to get more info. I have taken old handles from damaged soft chipboard...
  3. Replies
    Views

Someone was selling nice looing replacement handles on the forum, but I have not seen them listed for quite a while. I would think the D rings would be able to be removed buy spreading them.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: App for Lyrics and Chords?

I have been using "Chordify" (chordify.net) a lot lately. It uses some type of algorithm to detect chords in audio files (or youtube videos), and does a pretty accurate job at it. I've been chopping...
  5. Replies
    Views

Just an FYI, I had a problem in the past with malware being attached to Choridie.
  6. Replies
    Views

Ultimate Guitar is probably the most widely used for lyrics and chords, and it has the features you mention. The app is not great - lots of pop-ups and ads, but less if you actually create and...
  7. Re: "banjo-mandolin" and "nice sounding": an oxymoron?

Steve, I use GHS tenor light set 220. 10 1/2, 12, LW20, LW28. This set has worked nice for me and gives my a nice sound without the earsplitting that is usually associated with a banjo mandolin. Just...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandolin Banjo Trapdoor

The tailpiece on my trapdoor is also not flat on top, but curved. It goes over the pot in a rounded shape then flattens out lower. If that makes any sense.
  9. Replies
    Views

I'm sure it came with that tailpiece. My question is how many different covers did they make for that same base? I honestly never paid attention to that cover.
  10. Replies
    Views

Jim and Steve, thanks for locating and posting the earlier banjo catalog! It does look like the basic MB-1 uses a “Cloud” style tailpiece cover, not the fancier nickel silver cover used on the higher...
  11. Replies
    Views

Congrats on your MB Steve.

The Waverly “Cloud” tailpiece as used on Vega, Martin and many other instruments is similar but is not what would usually be found on a 1922 Gibson.
    The Gibson cover...
  12. Replies
    Views

Looks like the other MB-1's listed on-line have a "cloud" tailpiece cover, so that might be what yours came with.
  13. Replies
    Views

I have a nearly identical tenor, 11802. It's a lot of fun. I tune it GDAE.
    I do get dirty looks when I bring it to a jam session, but I can't help it if they don't have a sense of humor.

Of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Weymann Model 85

I have a style 25, the one with a very small head. Attached is the original bridge from that one with measurements.

I see this Model 85 on Reverb with what looks like the same compensated bridge....
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 1917 A-1 replace frets?

Schooner, listen to the expert. Perfect advice.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 1917 A-1 replace frets?

I've re-fretted quite a large number of old Gibson oval holes. Some of those instruments were later sold by major vintage dealers. The dealers priced them the same as similar instruments with...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: '17 A-1 Bridge

An accurate Loar style adjustable bridge will do the following to your mandolin: 1) Provide a better balance of bass and treble, 2) provide a tighter more attackable feel to the strings, for a bit...
  18. Replies
    Views

Steve, is the neck straight on your mandolin? The neck/fingerboard on those mandolins can (IMHO should) be perfectly straight. If there is a bow in the neck, you would want to have the fingerboard...
  19. Replies
    Views

I had a CA bridge fitted to my 1919 A2, and ended up putting the original back on. The mandolin just lost some of that overtone-y goodness that I like so much about it. It's nice to have the CA...
  20. Thread: '17 A-1 Bridge

by tree
    Replies
    Views

I also have a CA on my 1921 A2 . . . I didn't like the tone of the adjustable bridge with aluminum saddle that came on it. I made a nonadjustable bridge out of persimmon and it sounded great, but...
  21. Replies
    Views

I've kept the original bridge on my A3 for the last 35 years. I did have it adjusted. I've had it lowered. I've had it raised (glue on a shim).

I did have a luthier replace the one-piece with a...
  22. Replies
    Views

You could sand down the top of the original bridge and reslot it to lower the action. I have a CA bridge on my 20 A model which I'm happy with.
  23. Replies
    Views

Do you have a pickguard on it? If so you're going to have to look at that back pin.

I see no problem with changing it. If someone wants it with the original bridge you'll still have it.
  24. Replies
    Views

I have a CA on my 1921 A2. It is great!
  25. Thread: '17 A-1 Bridge

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Just get a new reproduction bridge and keep it period correct. Adjustable bridge looks wrong on thoseIMHO.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4