Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to fiddle

I think I'll go for the record for mediocrity. So far I suck at electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, uke, square neck resonator, steel, pedal steel, shaker, tambourine, and now mandolin....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

Being able to play up to speed on your own and playing up to speed in a session are two different things I find. Once you add the new variable of other players (and the distraction of other players!)...
  3. Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

These people are not your spouse, so of course you are free to blow them off. For example, when somebody asks what I do for a living I say "something to do with computers".

For your spouse, or...
  4. Replies
    Views

The Great Scottish Composers

I have compiled a small booklet looking at twelve different Scottish composers from the past 300 years, giving musical examples and a brief biography of each. I have chosen musicians who have,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Alan Lomax recordings go on line.

I was going to post this in folk, but then, he covered so much more I couldn't find just one category to share it in, so it's in the General section.
    Alan Lomax recorded a huge amount of music on...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

What a Northfield Model M sounds like in the hands of mere mortals...

http://youtu.be/a6SbJjmOkdw
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thanks Scott Tichenor !

According to the site, I make .76 posts per day.
    This is to
  8. Mandolin and Tenor Uke arr of Pastheen Fionn (Irish Air)

Mandolin, tenor uke, and soprano recorder perform the very old Irish air Pastheen Fionn. 1 track of mandolin; 2 tracks of uke; and 1 track of recorder. I like how this uke (made by Makai) sounds like...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Morris Vs Kratzer mandolins

Hi. Howard Morris made me a custom build with wood choices and a K and K pickup installed. I do not have a flattop, but it is an oval hole. These are great mandolins with wonderful tone, sustain...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: When you start to get worse

It could well be that you are not getting worse but your discernment is getting better.

Try not to overthink it. You can think yourself into a corner. Just play. And then play some more later....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Interest in beginners mandolin

Tell you what, I have a deal for you.
    I have a Rover RM100 that was dropped off by Café member Tobin. It was given to him by a frustrated would be mandolin player. The mandolin has a hard shell...
  12. Re: Songs of any style that all mandolon players should know

Well let me be the first. :)

I don't disagree, if you are Alan Jackson, or Glen Campbell. But for the majority of us, we ain't-a-gonna master anything at that level. Ever. Regardless of our...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddler's Fakebook - Accurate?

Actually, the Fiddler's Fakebook is one of the best, most economical collections of folk tunes out there -- nearly 500 tunes in at least a dozen styles for ~$25 -- hard to go wrong. You need to keep...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Campfire & Outdoor Mando

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001076.shtml

I used to enjoy the articles Bill Graham wrote for MC.
    This is about playing mandolin round a campfire.
  15. Thread: Ragtime

by Mike Snyder
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ragtime

Next Saturday the Old 78s will be performing free in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. Rag monsters. Mostly fiddle and banjo, they'll have some friends along and may have a mandolin in the mix. If you're...