Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

Have had a lot of tuners in the last decade.
    I love my pedal Turbo Tuner strobe and my Peterson clip on, the rest are not as good at their job (if workable employees)
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

I think the Venue is the 4th I've tried and I am generally satisfied with it. I did like the Red-Eye on my prior `main mandolin' but found myself unsatisfied with the house sound a few times and...
  3. Thread: Ability to Jam

by Markus
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

When playing breaks, esp for sung songs, just try to play the sung melody. Ornamentation can be added later, but a simple solo that sticks the melody beats one with a lot of flash that sounds like...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

At Monday's jam, a very good picker who has played for decades swapped guitars with a newbie kid who played well - a 50 year old Martin and and a new Fender. I doubt that Fender has ever sounded as...
  5. Re: Help with tomorrow: Avoiding hurting myself with new mandoli

I was self taught on guitar and ran into many issues playing for long periods. In order to combat this when starting mandolin, I took in person lessons from someone who taught music and played mostly...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Going from scooped to unscooped fingerboard

I have not, but I know that I stopped `digging in' and using anything but the slightest edge of a pick when I went with super-thick picks --- mainly the 3.5 mm ultra thick wegens [dawg or other...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Your favorite mandolin tuning tips?

Nope. I have a different brand and got it stuck displaying #'s instead of letters for a while until I searched the manufacturer website and eventually found the instruction manual. Gave me all sorts...
  8. Re: New to me mandolin coming. Good string to start off with?

I generally used J74 Phosphor Bronze on my Breedlove Quartz, while I didn't adore their sound when brand new, within a few days they settled in and I really liked them.

I use Monels on my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble neck - forearm pain

I always wear a strap, even when playing seated, mostly to support and position the neck where I need it. I highly recommend it as it made many of my wrist issues disappear.

I find visiting my [in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Another source for Backup Tracks

We have a lot of great options.

I use Strum Machine a lot. It is a relatively cheap subscription for something I use daily. I like it as it's simple to adjust how many times through you play...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: I Miss Playing Live!

I miss it terribly. I go to a wonderful weekly jam where there are a lot of great listeners [as well as players], it's going to be a while.

I play a couple times a month and practice at least once...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT2 vs MF-GT?

Not sure about the MF vs MT2 but I bought a used MT2 a year ago and absolutely love it.

Significantly better than the new MTs locally IMO, esp in the upper registers.

Tried it out at the same...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Advice on Selling/Upgrading Mandolin

I hear you loud and clear, I signed one of those last year lol

I would have told you to watch the classifieds here at this time of year [right before/after taxes] as there's a fair amount of good...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Collings

Bought a 2017 MT2 Italian used a year ago.

It had so much volume and cut, seemed a little sharp but it played like butter and my wife said it was 'all that and a bag of chips'.

Fast forward a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I think it is time to close this thread as we have clearly wandered into politics.

I don't care if people pretend to be experts about mandolins here, but the people posting medical claims and now...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

Statements of fact about the future are never wise IME, especially when the data is far from settled.

I'd rather be careful and wrong than ignore it and be wrong.

Given it's about to be spring...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Play better when alone

While you can play on the street with a case open in front of you, I would start by finding a nice sunny park bench on a nice day and play for yourself there. Have a short list of 5-8 songs you're...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

I really enjoyed my time with Peghead - I found myself switching instructors every 3 or 4 weeks and thus in a couple months I went through the instructors and lessons I was most interested in and had...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Book/s on how to improvise on Old Time tunes???

Really well done advice, Mike. These two stick out to me as I have learned these again and again - and this is actively something I practice.

Keeping with Red Haired Boy, I've woodshedded that...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

I generally run with J74's but trying the D'A Monels this time around on my MT2.

About a month into them and really like them - I feel like they never gave that initial `bright' week that J74's...
  21. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

Thanks for the book, Jesper. It's a different style than most everything else out there, which I have really enjoyed. I used the book a lot when I was getting deep into bluegrass and found the many...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickup options for an F hole octive mandolin

Anyone who does their research hears this, but yes I agree.

I know that I would have been better off listening to advice here and going with a RedEye preamp instead of saving a few bucks and...
  23. Re: So... They seem to think I'm starving and homeless?

That reminds me of a photo taken by Walker Evans in the NYC subway in the 30's I think.

24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner...not Tuners

Some people like that sound, I think. I've heard this described as wet vs dry tuning - one of them being perfectly synched pairs and the other choosing for intentional variance.

There's a number...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner...not Tuners

I completely agree and have not found any tuner that doesn't require a slight final adjustment to each pair by ear. It absolutely drives me crazy when I see someone tune both strings to their tuner...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4