Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

Well friends, I ended up with a mando rather ahead of my anticipated schedule! After playing a handful of Eastmans and Kentuckys locally, a Northfield Calhoun appeared on Craigslist semi-locally. It...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

I'll give you an Eastman rundown because that's what I'm familiar with.

x05 Eastmans are A body with F holes. x15 Eastmans are F body and have F holes. X04 & x14 Eastmans are the same, but with...
  3. Thread: N(tm)MD

by Dave Hicks
    Replies
    Views

Re: N(tm)MD

Rob-

Thank you for asking. I put the tune together before I got the BM, so I did write it out.

The tab was barely intelligible to me the next day, so it probably wouldn't do anybody else...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar player wanting to learn mandolin

Also a reminder that often crops up in these strings: a mandolin is not a little guitar played upsidedown. it is a separate instrument with its own history, technique, strengths, weaknesses and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD... hopefully today!

I am over the moon for this Morris A4! It's so beautiful to look at and listen to... the tone is sweet and warm... sparkle-y highs.

Mr. Howard Morris really does build a wonderful Mandolin :)
  6. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  7. Thread: Stradolins

by Sue Rieter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

210933 210936210934 210935
  8. Thread: Stradolins

by Richard500
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

More than really, really clean. Impossibly so, even if never removed from that case. A time-traveller. Of course, it lost an E string, so it had to be retired brand new, but who had an inert gas...
  9. Replies
    Views

great sound on an octave

i remember this lady and her group from a couple years ago-the octave is listed as an Eastman MDO 305(sounds great) I can't get the video to imbed-don't know why but here's the link:

10. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

“The mandolinist’s octave mandolin”.

They weren't lying when they said that.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron pancake

People have taken to generalizing the term "Flatiron" (like Kleenex or Xerox) to any pancake or army/navy style mandolin.

That's what's happening here. If you look further down the description it...
  12. Replies
    Views

Octave Mandolin Build

There's an exceptional octave mandolin build going on over at the Guild forum: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php?threads/ahg-octave-mando-build.216226/
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat top for blues?

The cruddy instruments a lot of the blues guys used, particularly in the early days, would shock a lot of you. Sure, B B and muddy used nice Gibson and fenders. But look at hound dog Taylor. It took...
  14. Replies
    Views

Getting Back To It

Hello all, as it can, life got hectic and I drifted away from all things musical but I finally found my way out of the weeds and ended up at Waynesboro Music yesterday and walked out with an Eastman...
  15. Re: Buy a vintage Gibson or more modern mandolin?

Of the 5 or so '20s Gibson oval A's I've played (never owned one) none of them have "spoke to me" or whatever. I like slimmer necks and radius fretboards. And the ones I tried just where not...
  16. Re: Buy a vintage Gibson or more modern mandolin?

Old Gibsons are nice but the necks are huge. If you can locate a used Pomeroy oval, I would go with that.

Good luck with your search.
  17. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

Hi everyone. Our new Wavelength octave is in production now. Our first batch is finishing up and is in the setup process. We got a little behind with all the summer festivals and the general pace and...
  18. The Bunch of Green Rushes: solo Pomeroy mandola

My interest in Irish traditional music began about 20 years ago, about the same time that I started dabbling in old-time music and clawhammer banjo. One thing led to another, and I discovered an...
  19. Troublesome Creek Luthiery on CBS Mornings today

This story was on the CBS Morning show today. I know that Sunburst has had a lot to do with helping the school.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Saturday morning thoughts on mandolins

I would love a Big Muddy Mandola. I have had a similar experience to the OP. I have had too many mandolins in the ten years I have played, and most all have moved on through sale. I reduced my...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing Eastman tuners

I just replaced the tuners on my 515 with Grover 409s. They fit really well with only a couple of additional small screw holes needed. I wrote a guide with some pictures in the equipment forum.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Saturday morning thoughts on mandolins

I love playing guitar and singing songs, and sometimes when things are dialed in just right, it's flat out glorious. But you mention "joy" here, and I understand that completely. Nothing...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Street Art - Denton, Texas

Spotted on Oak Street at the square.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

You have to evaluate instruments on their individual merits, not by the company name or model number.

About 5 years ago, my friendly neighborhood music store had three used F models in stock. One...
  25. Re: Grover 409 Tuner Installation Guide for Eastman F-style Mando

Nice job.

I always use Vix bits to drill pilot holes. It’s easy to get one hole that wanders and that messes up the finished appearance.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4