Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Expanding my searches. Thoughts on USA Ovation mandolins?

Here's my experience with my Connecticut-made Ovation MM-68. These are my opinions and yours' might differ. there is no harm in that. Like most of you, I have a number of different mandolins to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Strad-O-Lin, United and Homenick Bros

As there are still many questions about who made Strad-O-Lin I thought I'd bring some research I have done into the United guitar Co over here as I think it answers a few questions (and probably...
  3. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall's Loar?

This reminds me of an old story, probably apocryphal, about the violinist Fritz Kreisler. A patron had him over for dinner after an afternoon recital, and she served Kreisler a sumptuous meal. "Mr....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bacon mandolins - who actually built them?

Dave Bradford, it appears to be very similar to a Harmony Monterey- I have one- sold as an S S Stewart that is from 1938 or 1939- the f holes are different as are the tuners which suggest this...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Sorry to disagree, but how a string intones depends upon its length, mass and the tension it is under. That is why if one changes to a lighter or heavier set of strings one has to move the bridge,...
  7. Replies
    Views

There is a difference between mixing string gauges for different pitches and mixing string gauges in a paired course. Using heavy G and D with medium A and E won't cause any intonation problems, just...
  8. Replies
    Views

If you put heavier G and D strings on you may improve intonation by lowering the action. Heavier strings can be used with lower action. It won't take much, but will help.
  9. Replies
    Views

If you mix string gauges, you will have intonation issues. I no longer use T.I. strings because they have become too expensive for me - I now use Fisoma Supersolos, which are also a flat-wound string...
  10. Replies
    Views

I love TI strings. I would think if your mandolin is a modern build (my goofy term) it should have the structure to handle whatever combination of strings that suits you. It is important for all of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

Eric,
    I was a bit surprised by your comment. I have found this to be one of the most civil message boards that I use. It most cases the few personal attacks or political posts that pop up are...
  12. Replies
    Views

Blues w/slide

I almost never play mandolin with a slide...had a student ask me about it, and quickly recorded this little ditty as a demonstration. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would:)
  13. Replies
    Views

Steve Miller (NMC)

Just read a really cool, sort of multi-dimensional article about Steve Miller. Sharing the link for those who might be Steve Miller fans among us.
  14. Replies
    Views

Drunk at the party

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share with you a jazzy song for two mandolins and fake audience that I've written. It's been a lot of fun!

Best,

Isaac

aLiY7k6g_ck
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Ted Eschliman

Happy birthday, Ted!
  16. For members that make a living in the music business

This is an article in Variety for those that are self-employed in the music business.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I have had a number of my shows cancelled over the years for 'Health and Safety' reasons . . . the promoters were afraid that once I started playing, there would be a stampede for the exit, and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Fern Loar F5 Attic Find

Greetings, my name is Grant Handley. It was my father, Worth Handley who played in the Hart Valley Drifters briefly in 1962. The flea market find, the $25 Loar F5 Fern, was his. An early photo of the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dash Crofts

I thought maybe it was time to revisit this old thread--cool article on Seals and Crofts in Feb Texas Monthly:
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/secret-oil-patch-roots-summer-breeze/
  20. Replies
    Views

Losing My Religion (cover) - Collings MT2V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrei7VE0KQ
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument swap?

Yeah, but only with old friends I've known forever, *and* where we know each other well enough to know how we are likely to treat the instruments.

Not just for obvious harmful things such as...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume boost pedal question

You'd be a prospect for the RedEye Twin then. The RedEye works because of its very linear amplification characteristics. I had a chat with the owner/designer, and he said most pres need EQ due to...
  23. Re: If you could have any mandolin in the world….

I just snagged this

I could be quite happy where my collection is right now, without spending another dime.
  24. Re: -If you could have any mandolin in the world….

It's very simple...Ms. Griffith's A5 Loar! Not for the monetary value; sound, feel and mystique!

:popcorn:
  25. Re: Man crosses the Atlantic in a barrel - with mando

I imagine there was a lot of chop.
Page 1 of 2 1 2