Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: And just like that...

here's some tips:
    what you have now is a combination of mandola(bottom four strings)and mandolin(top four). The challenge from the luthier side is that mandolas use a longer fret scale than...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 string in jazz combo question

in my experience on the 5-string electric, I'll usually "comp"(grab chords for accompaniment) in the mandola range of the five, lower four C-G-D-A. i've heard my friend and electric mando hero Paul...
  3. Replies
    Views

Schwab #79

Received the Schwab #79 5 string and took it for a test run today. I gotta say, I've not played an electric instrument (guitar or mandolin) that plays quite like this. Many thanks to MrMando and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing a five string vs a four

I think of a 5 string emando as a mandola with a cheater 'e' course.

Get yourself started with mandola chords/CGDA. Then start playing scales using all 5 strings. What you'll quickly sort out is...
  5. Replies
    Views

Happy fourth of July!

https://youtu.be/f0PhYq3IUKI

Happy fourth of July y'all! Have some fun, but don't blow your hands off with fireworks, you still need them to play patriotic tunes (like liberty!)
  6. Replies
    Views

Ryder 10-string conversion

Enjoying 10-string so much I never played my Ryder, so I converted it to 10-string. It has a sweet tone from the combination of mahogany body with maple overlay, and the bolt-on maple neck.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternative tunings for your 5-string

Hey Travis,

I play a lot of open tunings on the 5 string and I tend to bring at least one to my live shows. I made a video going over a few basics in the open D tuning (D,A,D,A,D) which I also...
  8. Replies
    Views

Tennessee Jed Electric Mandolin Lesson

Hey Folks,

Here is short lesson for the Grateful Dead's Tennessee Jed. It's a cool lick in the key of C that is based around two C major scale shapes that I move between.

I'm using my Steve...
  9. Re: Alternative tunings for your 5-string

Hi Travis,

I spent a lot of time thinking about these things and playing both 5 course instruments and mandolas.

I have a Weber Alder #2 with 17" scale length. I had trouble with the Cs being...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Speaker Cabinet

The older tiny cab was put through its paces at a party Saturday night---amplified Buchanan, Fender bass and congas with brushes, for lots of jazz tunes, and again Sunday with solid body at the Jazz...
  11. Replies
    Views

Still enjoying it very much, although have not had it out in public yet except for a rehearsal or workshop. The tone is sweet, and it is rocking loud if needed. Efficiency not so much an issue these...
  12. Replies
    Views

Sorry I missed your questions. I'm glad you asked because I was going to report I had it out Sunday with the horns and drums and it performed nicely.

I am sure other speakers would serve as well...
  13. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Cafe's Song a Week Social Group

Hello! I've decided to post this in this forum, since it's the one that appears to have the most traffic!

For those of you who are not aware, Mandolin Cafe has a sub-set of forums, which can be...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: jethro electric mandolin

Seems to be that mandolin here.:mandosmiley:

https://youtu.be/S_0sdCPRwKE
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Little Wing Cover on Mandolin

I've been following Josh (on facebook and youtube) for a number of years now. He's been posting youtube videos since he was in high school. He's now out of college and working as a professional...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Little Wing Cover on Mandolin

Embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6FwpTm1PA

Seems to be a good picker alright. :mandosmiley: Here he is playing a John Dowland piece on an 8-course lute:

17. Replies
    Views

Re: Scientific proof for an instrument "opening up"?

Tenure...
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm new and wanted to say thanks!

Hello! I've been reading this forum for the past week or so, reading old threads, etc trying to figure out where to start in the land of mandolins. I've no musical background, and totally worthless...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post your rig!

On my most recent CD "Good Numbers" I played electric mandolin on 3 tunes. The mandolin is a Michael Stevens "Paul Glasse Model"
    and the amp a Henriksen JazzAmp, 10"speaker 160 watts, eq set fairly...
  20. Replies
    Views

Travis, I love each of those shots! Great mandos that cover the range nicely. That pedal board is gorgeous and nice array of lovely pedals; glad that you've found the DOD 250 works for you. Awesome...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: E Mando player intro.

And why not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrWo5m-OtM
  22. Replies
    Views

Having gone overboard from the Featherboard, I've moved to a PT JR. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Powertrain 1250 power supply; all isolated circuits, one dedicated variable set at 18 v., dead quiet and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone familiar with this?

I have a bunch of jazz texts but i've never heard of this. The book version got good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Improvise-Real-David-Reed/dp/0984686363

Course, the question is what does your...
  24. Replies
    Views

Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Not sure if there is enough interest to sustain a thread this specific, but there is only one way to find out.

I've always thought that there is something about Vince Guaraldi's music - whether...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: My homemade pedalboard

Nicely done, here's one I made last year.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3