Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Need a new neck and head block

I'm sorry to say this but the shipping cost to a luthier may be close to future value of the mandolin after repairs. The cost of the repair (especially after failed attempt to replace the head block)...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My Old Kentucky Neck

Missed this...
    I used a dovetail saw and chisels to cut the mortise in the head block. I sawed the dovetail into the new wood before gluing it in place; much easier that way because we can use a saw...
  3. Thread: Is it worth it

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Is it worth it

Worth it how?

The way I think about this is what do I want the outcome do be, what problem(s) am I solving. So if there is a list of issues with the mandolin, I would see about getting those...
  4. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

Yeah, try filling wood orders for neckwood using the word "quartersawn"...
    it just ain't gonna happen. ;)

OK, those diagrams apply to logs being processed with a sawmill...
    In the world...
  5. Re: Flat Sawn vs. Quarter Sawn Neck Block? Plywood tailblock?

155222 I started laminating my blocks and points when I first started building.. I use mahogany that is usually skew sawed and then cross grain before glueing .. I've started lately using 1/4...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel Dovetail Neck Jig

Here is a video showing my version and how I fit it to the body.

https://vimeo.com/149088032

I keep it adjustable rather than a fixed number to allow differences in the arch and ribs. There is...
  7. Replies
    Views

A new mandolin design

Some of you might be interested in my latest project, especially after the discussion about arching.

This mandolin is the end result of a project I have been working on and off for around a year....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Dudenbostel Dovetail Neck Jig

I built my first ones with a 6 degree angle from the Siminoff book. I've found that put the bridge very high, (slightly above 7/8") That's with a fairly low action (3.5-4/64") at the 12 fret G...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Banjo neck adjustment

That is mostly to hold the neck to the rim. You can loosen the neck with string tension down and place a shim behind the end of the fingerboard, or preferably the neck below the fingerboard, then...
  10. Sunburst finishing workshop in Knoxville, March 12

This seemed like the best section to post this. The Knoxville area luthier's group will be hosting me for a sunburst finishing workshop on Sunday March 12 at the Woodcraft store classroom. They have...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Redwood Burl Electric Mandolin

Hey Spruce, what kind of amp is that?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

OK gang. “Crusher” (signed by Lloyd on 12/20/22) came my way in the fall of 1989, a day before I played at Carnegie Hall with Stephane Grappelli. The mandolin was in perfect, near mint condition and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Desvairada - Andrew Buckner

Hey Mando world! This is my version of the A part of Desvairada. I tried to put a little bounce in it!
    https://youtu.be/XQ80psnSQrs
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Please tell me about radius vs flat fingerboards

Jill, I totally agree with you. I tend to prefer necks with a bit more chunk, but my favorite/most comfortable mandolin to play presently is my Silverangel, which has a V shaped profile...not...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Henry you're absolutely right. I played a '24 Gibson A-4 snakehead on "What Child is This?" (same one I used on Tone Poems). I also used a great sounding Kentucky KM-1500 on the Respighi piece and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Restoring the First Loar

Pondering Dan Voight's Instagram post "#1. The mandolin that started it all" makes one wonder if any of the Luthiers involved in the project with Lloyd had children or grandchildren that might...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Would you buy this mandolin?

Funny, that.
  18. Wondering what these small round "pins" are for on this Mandolin

from this thread:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?117738-Whats-in-your-wallet-er-mandolin

post 12 and 15
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Afraid to play for others - advice?

I really like this.

You can start slow/small, by getting together with only one person, then add.
    But really turn down the (for lack of a better word) caring, and ENJOY. If bad note is played,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

#559 leaving home this week, not on a roll, but a cowboy hat that won't blow off in the wind!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Grateful Dead tunes

And I have to add, there's really no escaping them. (As the bumper sticker says, "Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?") Out of the blue yesterday, a couple of the guys in...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Grateful Dead tunes

Grateful Dead are probably the most jammed-on rock band of all time for campground pickers, street buskers, and picking parties. There's something so convivial about their approach to music and their...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Worth Buying?

Side cracks like this are not a big deal and easily repaired. It would be nice to have the missing piece, but even without it, you can cut something to plug it or make a sound port. ;)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Worth Buying?

I don't think it is going anywhere. Just slop some glue in there and if ya wanna get real classy--tape a set list over it, like we did in the 60's......
  25. Replies
    Views

The D'Aquisto Influence ( w/Pics)

I'm not sure if this belongs here or over in the 'Post a picture' section, but being a builder and getting lots of help from this section, I thought it fitting to post here. Feel free to move it to...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3