Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

This mandolin was featured in the "Sometimes a case tells a story" article recently.

hSCJPC5LrYo
  2. Replies
    Views

Reverb Pedals?

For those who've gone down the rabbit hole of DI'd mandos and pedals...reverbs seem like the most common effects pedal. Just curious to see what other folks use, why they use them, and how they use...
  3. Paul Glasse on video w/Western Swing band 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6BpXBpp0vQ
  4. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Thanks for the report, Scott! Were there any Big Mon A models in the works? Derek told me a while back that building them was being discussed.

And to get a taste of Adrian, the Mandolins & Beer...
  5. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  6. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  7. Apitius mandolin - Aaron Weinstein - All of Me

Hey there,

ICYMI: Yesterday's Mandolin Monday - Apitius Mandolin x 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORYOx3V2Ww
  8. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

it's nice to know about different techniques to use as desired and sounds like you're a pretty experienced picker. My take is it's art and you should enjoy it, so do what you want.
  9. Replies
    Views

Northfield Mandola

A couple days ago my new Northfield Quickstep mandola arrived and I am quite impressed with this fine instrument. I got the Ox Amber/spirit varnish finish, and it is just gorgeous. I've played the...
  10. Re: O.K., It’s Black Friday, so Where Are All The Deals?

A few:

20% off Northfield Store
    40% off all Mel Bay products through Nov. 27 with Discount Code EBF40
    15% off up to $2,500 at The Mandolin Store with code FRIDAY15

But my personal fav, not...
  11. Re: Into the Cauldron 20th anniversary celebration with Mike Mars

Hi everyone.

Part 2 is now live, featuring interviews with some great mandolin players who were inspired by Into the Cauldron, including:

- Daniel Patrick (Mandolins and Beer podcast)
    - Jarrod...
  12. Article: New Music - The Andrew Collins Trio: The Rule of Three

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/997-New-Music-The-Andrew-Collins-Trio-The-Rule-of-Three?
  13. Into the Cauldron 20th anniversary celebration with Mike Marshall

2023 is the 20th anniversary of the release of Mike Marshall and Chris Thile's 'Into the Cauldron'.

To mark the anniversary and celebrate the album, and the influence it's had on a whole...
  14. Replies
    Views

My ABC Transcription Tools

Since the demise of the mandolintab.net ABC converter at the end of 2022, I've developed a very feature-rich open-source ABC editor and PDF tunebook builder.

It is available at:
  15. Article: Sometimes the Case Tells the Story

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/991-Sometimes-the-Case-Tells-the-Story

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209834&d=1696794575&stc=1
  16. Replies
    Views

New Mandolin Day at Mandolin Cafe

Very happy to reacquire a 1923 Sheraton brown snakehead this week I sold from the Classifieds in 2009. Still had the original email correspondence, the buyer still had the mandolin and more luckily...
  17. Jim Richter Mandolin Camp Faculty Concert: Mike Compton

Portion of Mike Compton's set at this year's Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us.

https://youtu.be/qyjFMBFnUcY
  18. Replies
    Views

Roger Siminoff’s new book

I just finished Mr. Siminoff’s new book on “The Life And Work of Lloyd Allayre Loar”,
    Very enjoyable to say the least, the whole book front to back gives such an amazing perspective on a man we know...
  19. Replies
    Views

Folsom Prison Blues: solo mandola

Some goofing around on the mandolin yesterday evening eventually led to this spontaneous arrangement. In the end I decided to record it with the Pomeroy mandola pictured. Enjoy!

20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Deoderant

Just to be clear, this is a real product, not a Cafe prank/Photoshop gimmick, though I'd be proud if it was.

You can buy this stuff on amazon.
  21. Paul McCartney, "Yesterday": Robert Margo, mandola in G

A few weeks ago my wife and I attended a recital in Boston by the great lutenist Nigel North. His program was entirely Francesco da Milano and John Dowland, absolutely sublime. The audience was...
  22. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 81 today!

I'm pretty certain than many of us would probably not be playing Celtic music (and indeed Eastern European music) on the mandolin or bouzouki if it weren't for Andy Irvine. And he seems to be still...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: A Punch Sister?

Great job, Brad.

For those that haven't been around that long or just forgot, the Mandolin Cafe has been cited as a source in print by the New York Times and many other large news outlets for two...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F5 #200

A very informative interview. I thought his views on oval hole instruments were interesting, " I build my F-styles to sound like Loars and I build my ovals to sound like Gilchrists".

I also like...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F5 #200

thanks for that link, just finished it at 342am and it was excellent. made me appreciate my Kimble F and 2 point even more, and they were already at the top.
    d
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4