Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Loar #73725... sigh...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

Well Adrian... you know Gibson's old banner... "only a Gibson is "good enough". ;)
  3. Replies
    Views

Can't say I agree on this one... that larger scroll is off to my eye...
  4. Replies
    Views

The first Lloyd Loar F5 I ever owned (a Feb.18th with a Virzi) was the cleanest Gibson mandolin I ever owned or bought... and I have owned and bought several in my increasingly longer lifetime. I...
  5. Replies
    Views

I would say "Simply one of the best".
  6. Replies
    Views

I believe these Master Models will prove to be very, very good instruments. They will not be 1923 Lloyd Loar F5s however, so don't go in expecting that.

Hopefully they will dial in their Cremona...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Darryl Wolfe selling off stuff

I know Darryl and consider him a friend, admire him and Tom (F5Loar) for their tireless work on the F5 Journal and know for a fact that he knows more about mandolins and related material (new and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Two Stellar Northfields At Dusty Strings

Was down in Seattle last week and made my usual drop-in to Dusty Strings to check out mandolins for my students here in Bellingham. There were two mandolins in particular that I played that really...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: This Baby's Got Back!

Here's the back of my Duff A-4.5
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

I have noticed a wide-nut trend, an arm-rest trend, a rubber grommet trend, a tone-rite trend, a tone-guard trend, a super-heavy pick trend and a $1,000 case trend.

Lots of trends! Before you...
  11. Replies
    Views

This Baby's Got Back!

I am posting an image here (just for the hell of it) of my all-time favorite Lloyd Loar F5 back. The mandolin in question is a signed, February 8th model done in a gorgeous tobacco finish. To me...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

So far as I know Hans Brentrup is no longer making mandolins. John Monteleone has only been doing guitars for many years now... although if you were to toss $30K+ his way he might consider building...
  13. Replies
    Views

Beato Interviews Bela!

Just saw a fantastic interview on YouTube last night - Rick Beato with Bela Fleck. What an amazing show... so much great information that would be of interest to any/every musician. Can't think of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting F2 (F4)

something not quite right with this one... tuners look they're from a an earlier, pre-truss rod era. also the inlay has characteristics of a later 20's F4... I would like to see this peg head with...
  15. Re: Northfield's $200 Surcharge For Wide Nut?

I just heard from Adrian at Northfield and he essentially confirmed the above post regarding production technique and demand. He also mentioned they might be offering the wide-nut version as a...
  16. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

All top-tier builders have interest on the resale market... I would say values really depend on the particular instrument and the nature of the transaction and pricing.

Michael's instruments have...
  17. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

I agree with Daryl... The Cafe classifieds are an excellent way to find the mandolin of your dreams. Both my Kimble mandolin and mandola were purchased off the classifieds several years ago and I...
  18. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

I'm with you Carl... that shows some class on the part of Gibson to have honored/homaged our dear friend Charlie D...
  19. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Who else but Dave Harvey should be overseeing Gibson's mandolin production? C'mon...

Think this guy might know a thing or two about mandolins? Smokin'!
  20. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

This label and case candy that is being promoted with Gibson's new F5 offering is all about marketing... AND perhaps trying to bring the Loar legacy back where it "belongs".

After the creation of...
  21. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

As Jim says above, Gibson is on the right track. It might not be the track that everyone would like, but it makes perfect sense - devote your talents and energies to a couple of flagship models and...
  22. Replies
    Views

The Life And Work Of Lloyd Allayre Loar

I just received Roger Siminoff's book on the works of Lloyd Allayre Loar. I have not yet dived into it, but the "first-look" impressions I get are that this is a lifetime, masterwork, labor-of-love...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Diamond vs. Gibson F5L or MM

I have been in Nashville for the last few weeks and have visited both Carter and Gruhn two times… They really do not have very many Mandolins at the current time. Yes, they both have Loars, but that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate Large Triangle X Stiff

Go for the faux tortoise version... I tried the clown barf version and the tone it produced was not as nice as the turtle...
  25. Re: Article: Crossrock Case Company Announces New Fiberglass Mand

My Duff A4 doesn't fit properly in my current (original run) Crossrock case. Their new (A/F) version might work, but the only way to know is by taking exacting measurements.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4