Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Congrats on your new mandolin! And, best of luck with your most recent surgery!

My suggestion is to be ready to find a local luthier who knows how to properly setup a mandolin. It is always...
  2. Re: Can you recommend an inexpensive beginner-friendly mandolin?

I will go revisit the video that Jim Garber recommends, but I'll toss in one possibility for a beginner mandolin. A dear friend, an accomplished professional violinist, came by the other day to meet...
  3. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I've played many wonderful mandolins, but the one I've been happiest with, and most impressed by, is my Ellis F5 Special. It has a beautiful voice.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

I would like to add to this demo discussion. When an individual or a shop is comparing two instruments, such as an Eastman next to a Kentucky, or an f-hole mandolin next to an oval hole, please...
  5. Thread: Arthritis

by GMorgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I've been dealing with psoriatic arthritis for many years, mostly just trying to keep my hands limber and taking Tylenol on occasion. I think playing the mandolin has helped keep my hands more agile...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

I tend to mention this a lot, but my background started with the violin. Although I have had only a single mandolin lesson since I discovered the instrument in 2017, I have years of training on the...
  7. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

I am, at heart, an old violinist who found a new friend in the mandolin in 2016. When I was really looking for a perfect classical sound for my violins, I used to buy Evah Pirazzi Gold sets. They...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

I like one glass of a decent Cabernet in mid-afternoon, just before playing mandolin on the porch or in my comfy chair. More than that, and I think my left hand fingers might trip over each other,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

My own approadh to the mandolin started in 2017. I was a violinist in my youth, quit playing for decades, and went back to that instrument after retirement. What I discovered was that I really...
  10. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I came to mandolin rather late in life. As an 8 year old kid, I began to play the violin and over a very few years, I became quite good, for a kid. Although I quit taking lessons or playing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

I play my Ellis F5 Special almost exclusively. I have a nice Eastman 515, and a canoe paddle, but I really treasure the Ellis. I have Thomastik Infeld medium gauge strings on it and I play with a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

I'm really happy for you. The Ellis mandolin is a phenomenal instrument. Great choice!
  13. Thread: Ear Train

by GMorgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Train

I am a totally blind mandolinist. As a youth, I played violin and was able to read any score. As a much older adult, nearly 70, I had to play without being able to read the music. I've been...
  14. Thread: Hello again!

by GMorgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hello again!

Sheila,

Glad to see you are back, all fixed up. And, as always, as I look at your list of what is precious to you, it is always good to see your 1959 model of Rich gracing the list.

Welcome...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Terrible left hand fingertip pain!

This sounds ever so much like a bruised nerve in the tip of your finger. I have this happen a couple times a year and I just take a break from playing for a few days.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Mandolin Players ?

][Howdy,

I wish you well on your mandolin adventure. My own vision failed completely over the decades and I didn't pick up my first mandolin until well after I could no longer see. However, I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Mandolin Should I Get?

Just a quifk note... I really started my mandolin adventure with the Eastman 515. I chose it after talking to the folks at Fiddler's Green and decided on the F style instrument because it held its...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

[QUOTE=Marcus CA;1897118]I feel like I've logged in to the Medicare Cafe. :grin:

At 66, I guess you can call me "The Kid."

Thank you, kid! You made my day with Medicare Cafe.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

I'm 68 and I did order a custom instrument. Why? Because I wanted to. I got my F5 Special from Tom Ellis on January 6 last year and I love playing it every day. It gives me great joy! What else...
  20. Replies
    Views

[QUOTE=journeybear;1896842]There is at least one: Pasha Alden, from South Africa. She has been posting less seldom than she used to, but we keep in touch via facebook. I don't recall having heard her...
  21. Replies
    Views

Yup. revisiting an old thread...

Today, I found myself a bit out of synch when reading a post about what I later found out was a reference to an Ellis mandolin. I think there might have been a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I cannot say that I've actually ever seen a mandolin. I'm sure I have, but I didn't begin to pay attention to them until long after I'd lost my vision and decided to transition from the violin to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Checking in--I didn't disappear

Good luck with your surgery! And, we'll see you back soon!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

I know you can find much less expensive strings, great strings, but I really prefer the Thomastik Infeld M154 on both my Ellis and my Eastman. I am not a BG player, and I do very little with...
  25. Re: Can an instrument be too good that it stunts your growth?

When playing on a fine instrument,

When I play good, I sound very, very good.

But, when I play lousy, it is obvious.

Play for fun, often, on the your best available instrument and enjoy the...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3