Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Lightweight Octave Mandolin Cases

I have an older (original Montana) Weber Yellowstone F OM with probably the same case, and yeah, it's overbuilt. Way too heavy to use for sessions or gigs.

What I've been using on the rare...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Dropping 2-Points?

Weber definitely offers 2 and 3 point body shapes as a custom option.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument Case Stand

Man, that's sharp! I like how it turned out.

I used that same sanding-acetone preparation process several years ago for painting white PVC when I was installing my rainwater catchment system. It...
  4. Replies
    Views

Mike, you'd be my hero but the guitar to mando ratio is way off. ;)

Whittle, nice work.
  5. Replies
    Views

Nice work. I've used PVC for a few things over the years. The Gorilla glue is a good idea as the PVC cement is not forgiving at all when you make a mistake.

My wife's company was getting rid of a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Very nice finished product! And excellent write-up.

I need to do something similar in my music room. I have a bunch of instruments in their cases laying on the floor or leaning against walls. I...
  7. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

Hey fellow mandolin warriors. To put fears to rest. There are no intensions of ever moving any part of Weber to China. We will remain a domestically built family of instruments.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff H5 Build

Whittle, you can size the binding by cutting, sanding or whatever it takes to reduce the height to fit to the sides. I personally try not to cut into the sides. My binding rests on the sides. I...
  9. Replies
    Views

You're doing a really good job on that !!! Keep it going !!!

Jim

https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.combra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUGTTuoRPs
  10. Replies
    Views

Whittle, you are doing a great job on your build! The inlay routing looks great! Ebony is so brittle and hard; I don't like cutting it. I would use a bit to clean up the channel. Go slow and don't...
  11. Replies
    Views

That is really good! Takes a lot of the scariness out of it, makes it less intimidating. Well done!
  12. Replies
    Views

Looks to me like you're on the right track!
  13. Replies
    Views

Looking just great! I did the same as you and built an IV A-5 kit first for practice.

I also made my own spool clamps. Like you I eventually used 1/4" X 4" carriage bolts and 1 1/4" doweling...
  14. Re: Water or Alcohol for hand applied sunburst

Right you are! Thanks! :)

Dissolve 1 oz of dye in 500 mL (or 1 pint) of hot distilled water. Refer to post #10 in string
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Water or Alcohol for hand applied sunburst

I like to mix with alcohol. Just have to be careful sealing with the shellac afterwards so it doesn't smear it. I use a small air brush for the seal coat.
  16. Replies
    Views

Finishing using wiping varnish

Here's an excellent article on making and using wiping varnish. I generally spray lacquer, but decided to post this because there seems to be an ongoing interest in wiped curing varnishes (such as...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cutting a scroll binding channel

I don't have any in action shots but here is the scroll cutting pin router jig set up that I made for F-5s. The template is shaped with scroll opening and rabbited inset to accommodate the binding...
  18. Replies
    Views

Got this set on Ebay long ago. Wasn't Buck or some other name brand so no one else bid on them.
  19. Replies
    Views

Still on the bench from last weeks bindery, whatever you do, do not watch a Tom Ellis powerpoint on his giant scroll-carving robot, or you may move on to cutting boards and jewelry boxes...........
  20. Replies
    Views

Found it.
  21. Replies
    Views

I do mark the curve of the binding slot around the scroll (top or back view), but I mostly just eyeball the line of the side binding (side view). I cut the slot and bind the scroll before it is fully...
  22. Replies
    Views

I use 3/16" by .060" body bindings, so my ultimate goal is a slot that size. I sneak up on both measurements. So my first cut will be something like 1/8" (in the 3/16" direction) and around .030" (in...
  23. Replies
    Views

Be patient, use whatever tools work for you, take your time, walk away before you get frustrated and come back later, cut the channel as accurately as possible because plastic binding will conform to...
  24. Thread: JBovier FM5

by sgrexa
    Replies
    Views

Re: JBovier FM5

I had one that I sold a couple months back. It was a well crafted instrument, with a nice THROATY voice and a beautiful instrument. Also came in one of the nicest custom shaped HSCs (brown faux...
  25. Re: Post a picture of your completed mandolin built from a kit

Sealing the whole mandolin with shellac and then true oiling over is perfectly ok. I've done 2 mandolins this way and they both turned out well. If you go with the can shellac, you'll need to do...
Page 1 of 2 1 2