Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Tremolo technique

Greetings from Australia!
    I thought it a good time to make some instructional videos about tremolo. Here is the first one.
    https://youtu.be/TrSLeM3cYd0
    Stay safe, stay home and play mandolin ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Eva Scow - After You've Gone

How is it I never heard of this young lady before? Splendid playing!

Kl6oavXJsi8
  3. Replies
    Views

Losing My Religion (cover) - Collings MT2V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrei7VE0KQ
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: free trio and solo music from Evelyn

I think, from the above two posts, that folk might not be aware that Evelyn passed away on Tuesday, November 12th - just two months ago. Her music will keep her memory alive in the hearts of so...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Common Chord shapes

Frank Geiger came up with a very clear way to illustrate and remember any chord in any position for 5th tuned instruments.
    It's based on how the old showboat banjo players used to work things out on...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

My favored approach involves placing the string loop over the peg in the tailpiece, then stretching it under light hand tension, straight over the bridge and nut, and winding it several times (2-4)...
  7. Replies
    Views

free trio and solo music from Evelyn

3 mandolin solo and trio books from Evelyn.

Dear mandolin friends. i Have2 new books on amazonfree for download from this forum and one more mot on amazon. Please avail yourelf of your free...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar LM110A Mandolin Question

That is a great price. I wouldn't have passed it up factoring in the ability to return.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: When Did You First Realize . . .

Perhaps when I took a break on Arab Bounce with my old Flower City Ramblers band back in the '70's, and got applause from the crowd. I was just learning, and making many many mistakes, and sometimes...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Again with the picks

As a player out of the Neapolitan mandolin school, I play professionally with a Ultex or Ultem sharp pointed pick, app. .73mm, but it is stiff - and I play bowlback and other non-Gibson style...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin-related multitool?

Not sure if there's an unofficial 'right' way to do this, but thanks to everyone for the great ideas! There were so many things I hadn't thought of, and some tools I hadn't ever heard of. I'll post...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: When is a newbie no longer a newbie?

"But sometimes it's good to have a reminder of just how far we *have* come, to keep from getting discouraged.
    "Always something new to learn," yes most definitely, :mandosmiley: music wouldn't be...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: When is a newbie no longer a newbie?

Wifey hates BG, so if that's what is required, I will eternally don the Hal's of newbie-dom
  14. Replies
    Views

Easy string changing

I keep seeing threads at the Cafe, and on other string instrument forums with people asking how to change strings. Many people seem to be afraid to tackle the task, and people make all sorts of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest crazy idea - the "Faux Mandola!"

The Rogue's parallel is the 'uke world is the Dolphin taropatch 8-string 17-inch tenor, US$100 shipped. Get two sets of Aquila 31U fifths strings and tune down a 5th. Instant mandola or mand'uke, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Sorry for the lack of notice but no sense in announcing these things to our mind. If your browser is functioning properly and hasn't cached a bunch of old stuff you'll notice there's a new look to...
  17. Re: My Morgan Monroe your opinion hope not too bad :-)

Thanks guys very helpful tips from all of you , for sure I need to improve so the jury is still out as far as a fair judgement on my end about this instrument but at least your tips reassured me...
  18. Re: My Morgan Monroe your opinion hope not too bad :-)

You can email Rob Meldrum at

rob.meldrum@gmail.com

to get that ebook on mandolin setup. Put "mandolin setup" in the subject and be sure to mention that you got it from Mandolin Cafe.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: double stop question

Yes, the key...FOR ME...was learning the system, the way SG teaches them in a system (she calls it series and neighborhoods) makes it easily transposable...you just have to know how they work - like...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: double stop question

Check out Sharon Gilchrist on PegHead Nation, I attended a camp she was teaching at and she has a very nice system of learning and using double stops. DS eluded me for awhile and although Pete...
  21. Thile's tribute to the raccoon - A Little Skinny But in Good Shap

From this past Saturday Live From Here Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery in WA.

On Twitter Thile said:
    "This week’s song is an instrumental tribute to the MPR Racoon. I delivered it to these intrepid...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest crazy idea - the "Faux Mandola!"

Yup! :grin: :mandosmiley: I agree with you 100-percent on that. :)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: tweaking the pick

Ooops, as some may suspect, that first line was supposed to read: "Thinner usually sounds brighter and THICKER is darker..."
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Soloing, breaks and improvisations

I began by learning to play the verse melody. Once I had that down it became sort of easy to improvise around the melody. Good luck.
  25. Replies
    Views

Flying V Electric Scrapolin

164654 My just-finished Flying V (Solid Body) Electric Scrapolin. Glued-together wood scraps, neck from an old mando (painted by my daughter), tuners cobbled together from Lord knows what,...
Page 1 of 2 1 2