Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of Ellis Mandolins for sale

I still own my 2010 Ellis A Special, with no plans to sell. However, I do think that these things run in cycles as you said. Before I bought mine, there was lots of buzz on the Cafe about Ellis. ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post Your Ellis A5

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/guitarmando1/Ellis%20A%20Special%202xx/DSCN0264.jpg

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/guitarmando1/Ellis%20A%20Special%202xx/Ellis208b1.jpg
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What Were Those Guitarists Thinking?!

Well, clearly you are a member of an elite and dignified club.
  4. Re: Does anyone offer cassettes of their band?

There actually are folks that are still into cassettes, and yes, even 8-tracks. Over on the Audio Karma forum website they discuss such things endlessly. But I agree with the members who say...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Some things irritating in the classified

If someone can't post a photo in this day and age, I'm not the customer for them.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of the 16" Archtop

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/guitarmando1/1947%20Gibson%20L-7%20and%201947%20Epiphone%20Blackstone/DSCN0533.jpg

Here's my '47 Blackstone. The top used to be nice until my stepson's...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5 Deluxe #303

fatt-dad, my Ellis A-5 Special has a similar back made of sugar maple. Both of your mandolins look beautiful. Enjoy your Ellis!
  8. Re: Any good acoustic/electric mandolins out there?

Since I bought a Godin A8 I've been a lot happier playing electric mandolin. It doesn't try to be an acoustic, although it sounds fine for solo in-house playing. It has eight strings, so it doesn't...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

Not to mention, all of the builders of fine instruments on this forum would be delighted to sell you a fine instrument, even if you're not the next Chris Thiele.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

The qualification for buying a superior instrument, imho, is the ability to pay for it.
  11. Re: Christina Applegate playing a Collings on Jay Leno

Fun and funny. I hope it sells a few Collings mandolins, because I love that company.
  12. Re: First Post, hello, and also pics of my mando

Greetings, Andrew. Glad you're here.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Prices dropping on high end mandolins?

Many high-end mandolins are built each year, adding to a pool of pricey instruments, yet how many mandolin players are out there to buy them? Most will never be in the market for even a $5k...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

My 2 BC picks were bought and paid for a long time ago. I haven't bought a new pick in years, so there is a savings there. Overall, the BC cost is negligible to me.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

I carry my two BC picks in a little "pick cozy" that attaches to my keychain. I love them!
  16. Re: Helpful hints for melodic freedom noodling?

The Lee Konitz technique: know the melody, then play it over and over, embellishing it slightly each time through.

http://melmartin.com/html_pages/Interviews/konitz.html
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fender Emando

http://www.armadilloguitar.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=47

This is a link to the shop that made the compensated saddles for my original Fender emando. The...
  18. Re: Fender MandoStrat Solidbody Electric Mandolin

I've mentioned this before, so forgive me if you've heard it from me. I had Armadillo Machine shop in Austin make me compensated saddles for my old Fender emando. Tele players do this all the time....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fender Emando

The Tele, a "one trick pony"? Springsteen, Gatton, Don Rich, Roy Buchanan, Ed Bickert, Hellecasters, Richard Thompson, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Keith Richards, and on and on. This argument is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Waverly tuners 10X better?

I have Waverlys on my Ellis. They are beautiful tuners, but they are not magic. Being in tune is being in tune, no matter who makes the tuners. Strings still slip (especially our friend the A). ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tom Ellis Mandolins

Both Northfield and Ellis mandolins sound better than apples or oranges.
  22. Re: Why are some mandolins so expensive...I mean really

Speaking not to that particular Gibson, but pricey instruments in general: it is so dependent on your budget and attitude. If you can truly afford it, it's worth it. I bought an instrument from a...
  23. Re: Why are some mandolins so expensive...I mean really

I haven't heard your instruments so I'll have to take you at your word, but it may not be an accurate statement. There are a lot of great-sounding mandolins out there. But the bottom line is, if...