Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Looking for a good mid-level octave mandolin..

Guitar Center/Musicians Friend had a 300 and a 600 series Eastman octave this morning. Anyone looking for something under $1000 or $1500 will get a pretty good deal.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

Try break it down in phrases, and get those up to speed. Then try stringing two phrases together, and get those up to speed. Then string a third to the first two, etc. I’ve worked on East...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Look for Used Collings

Nice, Pat, but I only have a few Collings mandolins left. Although TME currently has my last and all time favorite MT2v there. I had COVID late last year and have now developed some issues with my...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Adarrio humidipak with Big Mon

Boveda has a similar system for violin and viola instruments. It’s a much smaller system.

https://www.sharmusic.com/products/boveda-violin-viola-humidification-system
  5. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I’m not keen on banning specific tunes or songs but I have to say if you bring a tune or song to a jam you should be able to play and or sing it well enough to lead it so that others can follow along.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

Larry Smart is making some of the best mandolins available out there. And unlike some of his more elusive brethren, he is happily taking orders and the wait is not years and years.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Custom Gig Bags

https://glenncronkhite.com/
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Fatt-dad has the right idea. I am lucky enough to own a lot of terrific mandolins including two Heiden A5s. My feeling is, think about (and enjoy playing) what you have rather than wish you had...
  9. Re: Are there already any pros playing the new 1923 reissue?

They lost me with all the renewed lawsuit nonsense.
  10. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

Mark, I believe that our Heidens were probably built around the same timeframe in 2018.
  11. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

I think Nugget’s prices are in line with Heiden’s. The last F5 in the Classifieds was priced somewhat low. The one at Carters before that was in the $30k range. The used A5 at TME this summer was...
  12. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

Don’t forget Nugget.
  13. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

I think for at least a bit these are going to be sold directly from Northfield.
  14. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

Honestly, the selection is still better than it was twenty years ago. Entry-level mandolins are at least playable.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Canadian Calton Case

Contact Mike at acousticguitar.net

http://www.acousticguitar.net/contact.html

I purchased a kit from him some years back. He may still have some around.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Does anyone have Rigel mandolin drawings?

Pete is still around, according to this article:

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/seven-vermont-luthiers-pushing-the-boundaries-of-instrument-making/Content?oid=38195312

If you can’t contact...
  17. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

Many people lease their vehicles for one reason or another. Many of the newer cars you see on lots have been turned in for some other model. And sadly, the repo rate on cars has hit an all time...
  18. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

Timing is everything.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due

Joe is/has relocated to Idaho from Vermont. So, it may be a while before he’s set up and building again.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

I think the reality is that the cost of making the less expensive models isn’t far from that of the more expensive models. So, labor costs being what they are, where is the best place to expend your...
  21. Re: Work needed on Monteleone? Keep it or not? Need some sage adv

They use Max Girouard for mandolin work.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Saving for an octave

Let's be honest, playability has a lot to do with how one approaches an instrument. The resulting sound that is emitted from an instrument will also encourage the player to pick it up more and more....
  23. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Ain’t it the truth.
  24. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

To be fair, there are loads of small businesses that operate the same way.
  25. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

These were my thoughts exactly.
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4