Search:

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: ID on bowl back please

We need to see more, and that instrument is going to need a heck of lot more than just a bridge.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy old barstyle frets in europe?

Good luck with that - last time I had to do that, I bought appropriate thickness strip and cut it down... it took ages!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What qualities does a Neapolitan mandolin have?

So much subtlety, and so much we don't understand yet, but... the defining difference between the instruments you mention is generally the width of the top, as well as the level of activity of the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Collapsed top on a bowl-back

<Sorry... that UK usage has a different meaning in the U.S.>
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this Mandolin any good?

Interesting to find a US made bowl over this side of the pond, our American colleagues will no doubt have a better idea about the maker. Lovely looking instrument though!

What Randi said about...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret buzz on new Bowlback Mandola

From what I can tell from internet photos there's no truss rod, and the fretboard is flat not radiused? You may need the frets levelling and dressing (and no, the "box shifters" do NOT do that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Instaalling frets on a new build

Afterwards for me, though I don't have "floating" fretboard extensions to worry about. I feel it's easier to get a good level fretboard that way - so less fret levelling afterwards. The thing is...
  8. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

I think it depends - certainly that is a "mode of failure" for Neapolitans, this is not to say there isn't downward pressure on the top though, and of course US bowls with their less arched tops tend...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bowl back

A few ideas here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnUGKXjWJE&t=28s
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

I'd reiterate what others have said - plug the instrument and preamp into a recording interface, and either monitor directly via headphones, or record and playback. You could even compare directly...
  11. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Other way around, the older 24 fret one has the English label with the serial number, the Italian label without the number is on the newer 22 fret one.

Yes same size.

Haha, I've had a...
  13. Replies
    Views

A Pair of Ceccherini's

One of these I've been playing for while, the other is newly restored, not often you get two of these in the same place at the same time!

In addition to the level of decoration, the main...
  14. Thread: Metallic Sound

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Metallic Sound

Lots of reasons: poor setup, badly shaped/crowned frets, poorly cut nut or saddle slots, poor neck setup and action. Then if you think of "metallic" as the opposite of "rich", you're looking for...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning up headstock veneer

Indeed, I would start with micro-mesh as you may well find that 2400 or if pushed 1800 micro mesh are coarse enough to do the job, then sand through to say 3.6 or 4K and buff. It'll be a small area,...
  16. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

+1 on keeping it mild: if it's a varnish finish, then not many glues will stick to it too well anyway, so the residue should sloth off with a bit of polishing, maybe even a fingernail, and then...
  17. Re: What would you pay for this Meinel & Herold bowlback?

These are bar frets, they often get quite skinny/low after multiple dressings which means they bend super easily. So the last fret here is bent up on the right hand side.

Amen, that did make...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn bowlback bridge

It was - sadly not mine!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn bowlback bridge

I respectfully disagree - what's on there now is a horrible solution - it's not well fitted so the sound will not be as good as it should be, and it doesn't distribute the load evenly across the top,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: String tension & neck stability question

My hunch is that you're looking in the wrong place for the sound you want. I built a few of these and loved every one, they are in general fairly easy to get right (compared to electric mandolins),...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Help dating an old Sicilian mandolin

The neck angle issue come up so often, that I made a short video showing how to check if it's OK or not on these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilKP6CbJdg
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Help dating an old Sicilian mandolin

What you have there is a fairly basic Sicilian mandolin from around 1900-ish. And yes, the tailpiece looks to be a modern replacement. Might end up a decent players instrument - you will have to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Virzi on a Dakota Mandola

+1 on the other opinions here (and yes I have built a flat top with a Virzi), if you haven't already done so, those braces can be trimmed so they have more of a triangular cross section (ie taper in...
  24. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

For the e string slots, a razor saw would work just fine (if you have one of course).
  25. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

Just to expand on that slightly - if there is a problem at the nut, then the e strings will be every so slightly out of tune with each other when fretted - and that can make a 10K mandolin sound like...
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4