1. Replies
    Views

Re: String numbering

Who knew?

http://www.thecipher.com/mandolin-string-numbers.html
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Medieval Lute GGAAddgg

I may have mentioned this, but many modern classical oud players like Necati Celik tune in all 4ths very often.

http://www.daviderath.com/oud/tuning-notation

" Another somewhat common Turkish...
  3. Replies
    Views

Medieval lute was plectrum plucked, Renaissance lute with the fingers.

In Arabic the oud pick is called a risha; in Turkish it's a mezrab.

Actually I've met and talked with Lindley...
  4. Replies
    Views

I don't know precisely what you have in mind, but drones on oud are typically on the lower courses (both 'open' as well as 'fingered'/stopped).

Also, you can play 'fingerstyle' with a more...
  5. Replies
    Views

Is the Medieval lute played with your fingers or a pick? If fingers, then it shouldn't be a problem that the drone strings are next to each other. The thumb of the right hand would pick the necessary...
  6. Replies
    Views

A drone string can be any string that is used as a fixed pitch - some Indian instruments have chikari strings which are high-pitched drones often played rhythmically.

On many Middle Eastern...
  7. Replies
    Views

All fourths was also a historically used tuning. The oud similarity makes sense since the lute came from the oud.
  8. Replies
    Views

Coming from both an Early music and Middle Eastern music POV, the whole step is there as a part of an oud tuning. A typical 5 course oud was often tuned EADGC or GADGC.

So your tuning is missing...
  9. Replies
    Views

Just noticed this thread! Thanks for your kind words.
    The second is to have a drone, which works well for medieval repertoire. Personally I prefer to tune that lowest course to a fifth below, for...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Blues Mandolin

When i decided to learn how to actually play blues mandolin in 2004 I sat down and listened to Yank Rachell's recordings for 2 years and jammed with them. I also listened to Carl Martin, Johnny...
  11. Replies
    Views

Well, I'm a new player, and thanks to this thread, I picked up some of the stuff mentioned here. I am working through the Steve James videos, and it's just what the doctor ordered. When he presents a...
  12. Replies
    Views

On the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_oU19oLZE

If link doesn't work, search YouTube for "Minglewood Blues/ Ken Whiteley (feat. Julia Naverson".

(Still, I get your point,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sharon Gilchrist's Facebook Live video

Sharon Gilchrist's Facebook Live video just completed and now archived by Peghead Nation, made available here. Looks like an image but click it and you have a video. BB Code for anyone that might be...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sore Fingers Summer School (UK)

From pit - "And being out of my comfort zone was so incentive in the end...". That's the way to do it - push yourself !!.

I'm totally self taught 'by ear'. I sat in front of my PC & attempted to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Hi Rik,
    I totally agree with Katherine's post above. Being in my 3rd mando year, I considered myself "unworthy" of attending John's class but was sooo glad in the end that I didn't back off. Could...
  16. Replies
    Views

Hi Rik

I was in John's class too and it was nice to meet you. I am glad you enjoyed it and please don't worry about needing to make huge improvements for next time. I have attended Sore Fingers 13...
  17. Replies
    Views

Hi Rik - I've been to half a dozen Sore Fingers weeks, and I thoroughly recommend them (no financial or other interest etc.). They are friendly and very well organised - only some health issues have...
  18. Replies
    Views

Rik - I've not attended Sore Fingers myself,but i have 3 close friends who have. From what i gathered,you do need to be able to read TAB at least. One friend of mine who went,has been playing...
  19. Replies
    Views

Hello Rik,
    having attended two mando classes at sorefingers so far (Ben Winship and Matt Flinner), I can tell you this:
    I went to Ben Winship`s class after having played the mandolin for almost a...