Search:

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Coffee and a good book-a wonderful new solo mandolin MP3

Daryl,
    First off, I am honored that you would want to learn the tunes from this record, they all mean a ton to me, and I am thankful you are interested. I don't think I would be interested in...
  2. Coffee and a good book-a wonderful new solo mandolin MP3

I want to draw attention to this cool group of solo mandolin tunes from Andrew-in case some of you missed it, or just didn't look this week when it was posted on the home page.

these are really...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickup and Feedback issues

Yes. Monitors in front of you? have you considered in-ear monitors instead?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickup and Feedback issues

It is an omnidirectional microphone.

You should not be using the preamp. You are double gain-staging it and the input impedance is completely wrong as well.

This is not a "pickup" at all...
  5. Requesting MC Forum Input on a New Sub Forum

I sent Scott Tichenor this comment and he approved posting it in a new thread to the greater forum membership. I agree with Scott that forum-creep is not necessarily a good thing unless there is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Lebanese & Middle Eastern Music

Oud tunings vary a bit, but are all based on the top 4 courses being tuned in 4ths.

Also, many Arabic and Turkish oud players tune to different pitch levels.

Some common oud tunings:

Arabic:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Lebanese & Middle Eastern Music

Here are a couple score sheets, Fairuz songs.
    I play these with the mandolin. If you like them I can post more.
  8. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Pasha - I'd advise only one other thing - buy a couple of sets of a good brand of string ie. D'Addario EJ74's / GHS A270's to have them 'just in case',either from the USA / UK . Most stores are...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Pasha

You're guitar playing friend should be able to do this no problem...providing he knows how to change guitar strings ( just do one at at time )

The tight machine head may just need a...
  10. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

From Kirk - "Finally, someone who changes strings less often than me !.". Well,that's one way of preventing folk asking to play your mandolin,:grin:
    Ivan;)
  11. Replies
    Views

Sturgill Simpson

Finally, someone who changes strings less often than me!

Stick to your guns, Pasha! You know when you need to change strings!

Kirk
    Portland, OR
  12. Replies
    Views

I'm glad pasha and me aren't the only ones, then. :)
  13. Replies
    Views

Pasha, you're not the only one who doesn't change their string regularly. I heard a story about George Harrison and his famous Gretsch. After a number of years of playing he was having difficulty...
  14. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Sblock - Pasha's post implied that she hadn't renewed her strings in 3 years - From Pasha Alden - "For the first time in three years I have to replace a string. The E of all." Hence the advice to...
  15. Replies
    Views

I too use Brad's method shown in the vid. I do like the idea of using a capo though.

I change my string in a sort of rotation. I read a post about changing strings a little while back where...
  16. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

I do it the way shown in the video on post #10 but with one difference.
    I get the string looped under its self, so it locks on to the post but without having the
    loop in the tail piece. The string...
  17. Replies
    Views

Typical Mandolin Cafe! :grin: The OP wrote to say that she broke a single E string. So, here we go, advising her to remove and replace every single one of her old strings, study up on several...
  18. Replies
    Views

One thing that has happened to me a couple times, mostly on fiddle:
    Don't just loosen/remove one string or pair of strings with the remaining strings at pitch. Why? Bringing the strings up to...
  19. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Pasha - If you haven't changed strings on your mandolin in 3 years,you need a ''make over''. I'd remove all the strings, clean up the body,fingerboard & frets & then re-string it. The clean-up part...
  20. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

That's the painful way. Easy way is to use 2 pieces of painters tape to hold the bridge in place while all strings are off. That allows you clean the grunge off the fretboard while your at it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Hi Pasha... here are my tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Hk34p2OBA

Brad
  22. Replies
    Views

Mandolin strings don't last three years. Not if you play regularly, anyway. Many of us change strings several times a year, so you would seem to be WAY overdue. You will certainly notice an...
  23. Replies
    Views

If you do decide to replace them all, remember...

If you do decide to replace them all, remember that you probably have a floating bridge, which is held in place by the strings. If you remove all the strings at once the bridge will fall off and...
  24. Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Pasha: Have you ever changed strings on any fretted instruments? You might ask a friend for help or take them to a local music store and have them help you. It is not difficult at all and I am sure...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Transcribing from guitar to mandolin?

Michael, I'm going to suggest something a little different.

I'm assuming you mean "tablature" when you write "notation." Tablature has lines representing strings, and numbers representing frets....
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4