Search:

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pretty bowlback with lots of MOP

Veneered neck points to Italy (maybe), and the very much Art Nouveau ornament probably 1890-1905. Google Lens might find the lady if that’s a published shot of a celebrity, but it finally stopped...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

Didn’t mention how long to get the tuning layout down.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

Actually, Mike, SOLs are somewhat supernatural, and you have to be trained to see them at all. There are untold thousands of them out there, some of them with other names, built over half a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Batwing from a bat cave

On SGW. Because it will doubtless bit up too far, no interest, but I know there are fans here of the genre. This one spent time in some environment so foul that the finish, down to bare wood, peeled....
  5. Re: Has Anyone Used or Tried the StewMac Fretbar Understring Leve

Cute gizmo, and like Gillette’s great invention, a good way to sell rolls of sandpaper.
    Of course, you have to elevate the strings to get at the lower frets, and at that point, anything flat and...
  6. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  7. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

1984 isn’t a novel; it’s a handbook.
    Music, an unresearched stimulus common only to humans and a few birds clearly causes distinct neurological effects. Clearly, optimization can be achieved, for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret buzz on new Bowlback Mandola

Strong on 3rd, weaker above doesn’t point to action height, but you could adjust it anyway. More indicative of low third or high fourth frets, so take a fresh, clean credit card and use it as a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: FB SOL Incognito

Considering homage to stripping, perhaps some ‘40s tasteful decalcomanias of strippers?
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

I think we may have to credit this builder with introducing the roller fairlead to mandolins, plus a few more novel things as well as mutating specifications. Some of us might get strange ideas, but...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

Done, but it’s MK V. The first version using the original gear and worm in a new, solid housing, failed because the gear would be the part that failed and would be expensive to reproduce. The next...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Strad-O-Lin in UK 1939?

This is identical to the one I just patched up (photo attached). It was on CL for rather cheap, with case in January. To settle one disputed claim, the ones with this particular stencil can be...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I have more than a few customers, mostly PhDs, if that’s relevant, who would need this particular instruction.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 1950s Strad-Galiano Oval Hole

Jeff, from the look of things, I think re-doing all the string slots is in order. Shave a skotch off the top and start clean.
    My theory about the oft-mentioned shimmer of the SOLs is a beat...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 1950s Strad-Galiano Oval Hole

So, Galiano as in NYC, NJ, Schmidt, Chicago? If ChiTown, does that imply some SOLs are from there? I think the FBI needs to get involved.
  16. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Careful, sir, you may have inadvertently revealed yourself as having a connection to science, which here, as in many other human interests, is dangerous and quietly unwelcome. Perhaps not as overt...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Old instruments and Mold spore load

I’ve been buying old mandolins, many are bowl backs at least a century old. On receipt, all get a spray of household insecticide and household sanitizer - inside, just because. Especially in the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Effect of bridge breakover angle.

I’m sure some of you have done something like this: raising the tailpiece to lessen the downforce on a fragile instrument. In this case, an awful Rover 35 whose top was collapsing. I pulled the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

Glad there’s interest. So far, couple of experiments, shown in the photo. However, a friend had a better idea that I may get to fairly soon. In the photo, the MK I aluminum machined housing for...
  20. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

To follow Adrian’s comments about non-ergonomic use of hand tools, certainly in the West, I’d like to mention that before power tools were widespread, hand tools evolved to maximize human strength....
  21. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

Whatever you use, try to avoid holding the work with one hand and any power tool with the other: that almost guarantees injury.
    Any high speed rotary tool, hand held, can inflict nasty injuries. ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig material

Matching outfits.
  23. Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

The OP can sort this out by, for example, using any set of small drills to measure the tuner holes in question, and just buy whatever screws are the same or smaller dimension in a finish or pattern...
  24. Re: Imitation tortoise-shell on older mandolins?

Nearly all of these are nitrocellulose plastics, also called celluloid, q.v. Invented by about 1860, and considered the first commercial plastic, used in a vast number of products till replaced by...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 1948 Martin 000-28 on ShopGoodwill

Brad- shipping varies with no particular logic. Each Goodwill is essentially an independent franchise, and some of them gouge on shipping. The cost is calculated right on the listing, though, so...
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4