Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a bridge

If I'm understanding correctly, you must lower the strings at the nut (either by filing the nut slots deeper or sanding the bottom of the nut) so that the strings do contact the 0-fret. Otherwise...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for a pre-professional luthier?

I am retired & build octaves as a hobby. I've built about a dozen & sold 2. Despite the doubts of others, I agree wholeheartedly with SBJ's post above. I was skeptical at first but decided to take...
  3. Thread: Zero fret repair

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Zero fret repair

I have used zero frets on my last dozen or so builds, all octaves. Before working on the fret, I would suggest being sure that the problem is not that the nut slots are too high. I have had that...
  4. Thread: OM Rib Height

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: OM Rib Height

I forgot to mention that if you are not already familiar with Andrew Mowry's Neck Geometry Calculator, it can be quite helpful:

https://mowrystrings.com/neck%20geometry%20calculator.html
  5. Thread: OM Rib Height

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: OM Rib Height

I am just an amateur, but I've built about a dozen OM's in the past few years. Mine have been about the same size as Peter's with the exceptions that I have used a 3" (~75mm) body depth & 22" scale...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: break angle and string tension

I won't call myself an expert, but I agree with you Phil. It must be that others are somehow seeing the problem differently than you & I do. I'm not prepared to say that anyone is wrong, but we...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Low/No budget DIY mandolin making tools

I've made a couple of gouges from old files. The steel is quite good & takes an excellent edge. One I heated & hammered into a curved profile, gouge shape. The other I made from a half-round file...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: CMC joint arthritis (no mandolin content)

Thanks to all for helpful replies. I went to see hand surgeon yesterday, Dr. Douglas Calhoun in Knoxville TN. After a lengthy discussion we decided to go with injections in both hands again & wait...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: tuners for a bouzouki build

I've been using Gotoh SG38's on several octaves with good results. Individual tuners are available at Warmoth.com. Individual Schallers are also available there but are more than 3X the price. I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: jig and clamp setup

I might be mistaken, but I think the dark plywood in the photos IS an outside form. Personally I like the form to be a bit deeper though.

- Earl Tyler
  11. Replies
    Views

An inelegant solution

I know many others have done similar things in the past, but I was motivated by James Condino's (thank you James) article in the recent GAL magazine to try to put together same sort of test rig to...
  12. Thread: Binding questions

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Binding questions

Never mind; I got it figured out. Please forgive my frustrated ramblings.

Earl
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Bouzouki Questions

I haven't used western red cedar, but I have used eastern redcedar (not a true cedar) with good results.Take a look at this thread: ...
  14. Thread: Before or after.

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Before or after.

I see, said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer & saw.

I hadn't thought about that possibility before. I guess you could make elliptical sanding blocks also to make elliptically...
  15. Re: anyone use these Norton ProSand Contour Sanding Pads(or simil

I haven't used those, but I have recently used this http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=74149&cat=1,42500 (I got mine from Lowes). I have been amazed at how well it works & how long it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam Generator for a bending steam box.

I've used an electric teapot or kettle connected to a length of 6" or 8" stovepipe by a short piece of radiator hose. I put caps on the ends of the stovepipe & wrapped insulation around it. The...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Rim/top joints on induced archtop instrument

When I started building OMs a few years back (induced arch), I had the same concern. My solution was (& still is) to use braces that have a curtate cyclioid shape which flattens out about 3/4" or so...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Floating bridge on OM

FWIW, I just a couple of days ago strung up (in the white) the OM I mentioned above in post #4. The break angle over the bridge ended up about 6 degrees & the bridge height is reduced from about...
  19. Thread: Mandola Specs

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola Specs

Pete, I think your mandola looks stunning. I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks; can't wait to hear it. The details look very well executed. I especially appreciate your inclination toward...
  20. Thread: Om #3

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Re: Om #3

I haven't had the opportunity to compare them side by side since my nephew in GA has the first one. My feeling is that the new one has a somewhat deeper voice. That surprised me because I kept on...
  21. Thread: Om #3

by Earl
    Replies
    Views

Om #3

Hello all. I just completed my third OM & thought I would post a few pictures for comment. I am a hobby builder with lots to learn though I have already learned lots by lurking about on this forum....