Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Punch Brothers album - All Ashore

They played the whole album during their Telluride set that was streamed on KOTO.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Cello conversion contender?

You can always use a feeler gauge to measure but probably.
  3. Replies
    Views

Agree, there are many rail pickups for guitar and any will work.
  4. Replies
    Views

Any rail pickup will work, doesn't need to be for a bass. Also check out Alumitones.
  5. Replies
    Views

Those old arch tops, while they will never be fine instruments, can have their own charm. I fixed one up just to practice fretwork and binding. The cheaper ones had not only painted binding, but...
  6. Replies
    Views

It hardly seems worth the trouble to carve a solid top and put it on a poorly repaired body that probably has heat-arched, possibly laminated back, especially since you're interested in learning the...
  7. Replies
    Views

No sense in closing it. We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheering during live performance

I love it when an audience erupts at the end of a song, even when it overlaps with the ringing of the final notes. Many of my favorite albums are live albums, and when the audience reacts that...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheering during live performance

I once heard in a Chris Thilie video where he said he found it odd at a classical performance that the audience doesn't cheer or whoop it up at the end of a piece that the symphony just nailed.
    I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy solid wood for Mandolin?

Contact Bruce Harvie at Orcas Island Tonewoods.

http://www.radiofreeolga.com/tonewoods/
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Soprano/Piccolo mando body structure

Also check out the Weber Sweet Pea, if you're looking for ideas.
    It fits the bill as far as having the standard scale length and smaller body size. As far as bracing, maybe lookup some of...
  12. Re: Chris Thile Begins a New Era with APM Radio

For those who might be new to the world of "alternative strings" you might want to go back in time 30 years and give the early works of Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, and Dawg a listen. Thile didn't...
  13. Replies
    Views

Latest favorite thing!

To watch on youtube that is...

These guys! I just can't get enough of this collaberation session. Emmanuel's guitar playing is solid as gold and Grisman's tone literally grabs me by the ears and...
  14. Re: Grisman & Tommy Emmanuel / hear the new CD & see the tour dat

And a video of them playing 'Tipsy Gypsy':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOt-cZIVvu0&feature=youtu.be
  15. Replies
    Views

Stranger Things, anyone?

I know this ain't no part of nothin', but I love Stranger Things and its opening theme. And aren't you supposed to play songs you love?

Pb-ACS6xWuI
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 2016 Anaheim NAMM Show

By the way, I do have a photo but probably won't post it, but next door to the Collings booth there was a huge crowd at a ukulele builder's booth, and for very good reason. Jake Shimabukuro, aka the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: To assemble or buy cheap

Building your own instrument is absolutely absorbing. You will build the thing a hundred times in your head during the process of building it on your bench. It can lead in unanticipated directions...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A short film - Birth of a Luthier

From Greg - "...I could watch this all day. Thanks! ". Me too !. I honestly wish that somebody would make a film of a luthier building a mandolin from start to finish. Apart from being instructive...
  19. Replies
    Views

A short film - Birth of a Luthier

A quick 10 minute film about a fellow starting out. I thought some of you might like it.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Another, other, bowlback

"Original" is overrated if all you want is a decent playable instrument. This is not a particularly valuable mandolin so go ahead and make whatever mods you need, IMHO.