Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Finally playing again

So four weeks after rotator cuff surgery I was finally freed from the massive harness I've been wearing and allowed to wear a normal sling outside, and no sling at all in the house. That plus weeks...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin or Octave Mandolin

I got the Eastman MDO-305 simply because I love the sound of the OM and the bouzouki. Currently having a blast playing it in GDAD, playing folk and various styles. When I'm playing with another...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Opera singer guitarist in need of help

Well this is not your typical "Can I use an A-style for bluegrass?" kind of discussion! Sorry I don't have anything useful to add, but I can't wait to read more... :popcorn:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins "Opening Up"

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I actually did search the forum as suggested, and found this was quite a hot topic...back in 2011. I assume a few folks have joined since then who might have some...
  5. Replies
    Views

Mandolins "Opening Up"

So I see people talk about playing a new mandolin, or one that maybe has been stored and recently put back into playing condition, and they talk about it "opening up" and the sound changing as it is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Straighten a Neck - No Truss Rod

FWIW I'm under no illusions that my Harmony is on a par with a vintage Martin or Gibson. It is an heirloom because it was my uncle's guitar. It might be slightly more valuable because of the model...
  7. Re: What Mandolin Did I Get From the Thriftstore?

I would never suggest a good luthier isn't worth their money, but if you're handy at all, fitting a bridge to an $18 mandolin is hardly worth taking up their time. What a great opportunity to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Scale Question

Or Sarah Jarosz. To me they're very different. Sarah Jarosz does some very un-mandolinish stuff with hers, which I think is awesome.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: seagull dulcimer vs mandolin

Mandos and Merlins like to hang out together...

10. Replies
    Views

Re: seagull dulcimer vs mandolin

Don't want to hijack this thread away from mandos, but welcome to the Merlin club! My wife and I have three (two G's and a D) and we love them. There's a Merlin forum at merliner.co.uk and one or...
  11. Re: IMO - Why red spruce is the loudest top wood

I'm neither a physicist nor a long-time mandolinist; just an average guy who is learning his way around a new (to me) instrument. But I have been a musician going on 50 years and I like to think I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Go To Jams Now!

I grew up in Gospel music in the 1970's. Back then there were dozens of little local groups who went around every weekend to churches. If a kid of one of the group members showed an interest in...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the Eastman OMs?

I just got one! My first "real" OM (not counting the piece of nameless junk I bought online just to see if I might want to try an octave). My local store got two and one was sold the day it came in....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar-sized acoustic bass: retune CGDA?

I owned a Taylor GS Mini-e for about a year or so. I really enjoyed it. They are a great little acoustic bass. Sold it to a guy who played bass for a bluegrass band but due to an injury couldn't...