Search:

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

The piano keyboard is definitely a wonderful tool as it allows us to see intervals in a clear way (though I'd argue that the mandolin also allows this). When I was first trying to learn this stuff, I...
  2. Re: Chord Tones, Intervals, and Scales Flash Cards (or app)

If you're just trying to memorize theory, flash cards are helpful IMO. I used to have a stack in my car and would pull them out at stop lights or in heavy traffic. Basic things like "What's the 1 3...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Common string thickness

I have two old (1930's) instruments - a Stahl banjolin and a Regal resonator. I used light strings - .008 or .009 E's based on good advice from this forum. I would advise the OP to use lighter...
  4. Replies
    Views

Trailer for Ger Mandolin Orchestra 2024

Just came across this impressive video, with Mike Marshall playing and directing the orchestra. I assume that they're on tour elsewhere. Other videos have women, including, I believe, Caterina...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

In terms of memorizing chord progressions of jazz standards – it's helpful to be aware of the "mini progressions" found within these structures. Within most any 8 measures of a standard tune you'll...
  6. Replies
    Views

Up till now I have remembered tunes visually as key-related and inter-related chunks of paths on the fretboard. I don't often look at the fretboard but can 'see' it from feeling. I can't remember...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

I don't believe that was true at the time. To some degree, the term "Celtic" was popularized in the 1970's, with Williamson being a promoter. "Celtic" was around earlier, often used by romantics and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Just my opinion, but this has been my experience in applying mathematics, engineering concepts, plumbing, wiring, auto mechanics and music:

Memorizing steps, formulae, songs, etc. is fine, but...
  9. Replies
    Views

I have two memorization tips.

1) Just as bigskygirl and others have said,try to relax and enjoy yourself.
    It will come naturally.

2) Umm err !.....I seem to have forgotten my 2nd memory tip.
  10. Replies
    Views

A lost cause at 1.5 years…maybe you’re being just a wee bit hard on yourself…?…I would guess you’ll feel this way 20 years from now.

Anyway, instead of memorization think internalization. Know -...
  11. Replies
    Views

And another one is to make sure that when you practice these tunes you begin at lots of different parts.
    You can record the tune yourself at slow tempo and let it loop, then practice playing nothing...
  12. Replies
    Views

"fiddle tune ... at a jam". making mistakes while playing at a jam is the normal, not the exception. ideally you play through the mistakes, but if you completely bomb out, just wait for the tune to...
  13. Replies
    Views

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

Much depends on where you put your thumb during playing. Folks who hold the thumb on the very lowest point of neck (like classical guitar players) usually prefer flattish rounded profiles (depending...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidity gauge

RH sensors are inherently not that accurate. It's easy to measure temperature accurately, not so much molecules of water in the air. I used them at work and I needed very accurate sensors for our...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

I'm with the "you've got to play fast" school. I know that in tai chi, after doing the moves slowly for years, you're supposed to be able to use them rapidly when necessary for self defence. However,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Rummaging through some old hard disks recently and came across this mandolin-&-guitar arrangement of Calace's Moto perpetuo, recorded in 2007 in a Shanghai hotel lounge:

18. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

There is also the pulse effect where the less experienced fiddlers feel that the beat is slightly in front of them, so they speed up - to catch up.
    So the others speed up etc.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Haven't had an after breakfast tune for a wee while. This is Jimmy Shand's classic tune The Bluebell Polka. It was very popular when I was young, indeed it was a great favourite of my mother who...
  20. Replies
    Views

Tom Wright Trio -- new video

This rolls tomorrow, Sunday 3/10, at 8pm Eastern. We revisit the tunes from my "Tailwind" album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMCZzERmgM
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict's new dream mandolin

Pretty nice "freebie." Though, the couple comments about Oliver letting him "play it for free," sounds like maybe he's not going to be keeping it? Also, the references to "Loar specs," but it also...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Um, yeah, you tuned your what which way? :confused:
  23. Replies
    Views

There is a musical reason for that though. C, A, G, E and D are the only keys with open string, first position chords. That is the sound expected and demanded of bluegrass guitar. I can play in...
  24. Replies
    Views

I wish I could remember the words of Pete Martin, something like, “there are no difficult keys, only unfamiliar ones.”
  25. Replies
    Views

I'd say that prejudice comes from a few places (no order)

1. Ignorance of other ways to play something
    2. Lacking the skills needed to do something another way
    3. Lacking the confidence in ones...
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4