Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Goodwill

by keith.rogers
    Replies
    Views

Re: Goodwill

With the hatchet finished speed neck, removed frets and original brand coverups, IMO, it’s a poor value at the current bid.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

Actually, Mike, SOLs are somewhat supernatural, and you have to be trained to see them at all. There are untold thousands of them out there, some of them with other names, built over half a...
  3. Replies
    Views

That’s really unfortunate. Once you try one, you’ll never go back!:))
  4. Replies
    Views

Nope. It's very close to the P-344 model shown in the ads in the SOL group. From the 1935 catalog. Pickguard is different. Otherwise conforms to the description. Mine has a one piece quilted back....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage vs New

Agreed. Some of these Stradolin's ring like a bell, feature 90-year old wood, and most are well under $500!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Orpheum B/Strad-O-lin 1950s

It's a common style F hole, I've had this one for twenty some years. I don't think it's refinished, I had two with the same finish.
  7. Replies
    Views

Vintage vs New

Hi - first time posting here. I've been playing guitar since '64 as well as Dobro and keyboards, but only recently decided to get myself a mandolin. Started out learning on a top-of-the-line Eastman....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Custom F-5G auction on eBay

That’s one badly written label - I’m not even sure that the F started life as an F - be very careful!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: FB SOL Incognito

Probably sounds great, especially for the price. I would replace the bridge with a low one-piece full-contact ebony or rosewood bridge.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

No, mine was all black. Don't be fooled by "today's asking prices," in my opinion they are worth $200-250 max and only as a wall-hanger, at that. BUT, more power to prices fueled by internet fads...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 1940s Strad-O-Lin

The seller offered $100 off, so I went ahead and took the bait, mostly because I wanted the case for my 2-point Strad-O-Lin (and I don’t have this particular SOL model :))). I expect it to be shipped...
  12. Replies
    Views

1940s Strad-O-Lin

We get what reads like an AI puff piece. The mandolin is over- priced except it has a nice 1930s case that is meant for a Kay Venetian judging by its shape but it is still too pricey.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

Fretboard divots can be repaired.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Frets/FBoardDivot/fboardivot.html

It appears you're about 4 hours from Frank Ford at Gryphon Stringed...
  14. Replies
    Views

Well, the SOL I won on EBay came today. 211065 Overall, it’s in pretty good shape except for some fret wear. The fifth fret buzzes on the A and D strings, more pronounced on the A and goes pretty...
  15. Replies
    Views

I’ll take the tuners apart, clean them with naphtha, and apply a fine machine oil I got from Stew Mac. I also have some lemon oil specific for fretboards - also a standard treatment for a new...
  16. Replies
    Views

Hopefully, it won’t join the ranks of my mandolins that need to visit the luthier before I can play them!
  17. Thread: Stradolins

by NickR
    Replies
    Views

Jake Wildwood sings the praises of 1950s examples: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2023/11/1950s-strad-o-lin-united-archtop.html
  18. Thread: Stradolins

by Jeff Mando
    Replies
    Views

Sure, the dirty bird doubled the price, BUT the shipping is only $9.99
  19. Thread: Stradolins

by Richard500
    Replies
    Views

All three, (or maybe two), look decent. SOLs have been talked up so much, as here, that experimenting with a high price isn’t crazy. The one from the Oyster Capital of New England is a different...
  20. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

Yep, it has been relisted...

Maybe the buyer found putting Joey's name on a non-Bishop associated mandolin might confuse the market for genuine Bishop-owned instruments...:crying:

Hard to say,...
  21. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

Regis Philbin got his start as Joey Bishop's second banana on that show...
  22. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

Bob Barker?
  23. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

Looks like Joey was performing with the Lennon Sisters. Almost forgotten today, but in the 60's they were about as big as you can get -- starring on The Lawrence Welk Show and for a while on the...
  24. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

Maybe it was for his F5?210435
  25. Re: Interesting eBay Item -- Joey Bishop's Gibson Mandolin Tailpi

I tend to agree, either Maudie wasn’t happy with it or someone decided it wasn’t right for some reason.
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4