Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Fred: That was a lot of fun! I enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing some holiday cheer.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Archive - We need your help!

Hi Scott, I play F5 Special #380, completed in early September 2016. This mandolin was the first place prize at the 2016 National Mandolin Championship at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5 Fern finish

It's really varnished, I've played it and examined it up close & personal.
    Does a varnish vs lacquer finish equate to "better" tone? NO!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Vessel February 18 1924 replica

Not that what Gibson produces in the Distressed MM line is suspect; on the contrary they make some really good mandolins that are pretty good Loar F5 replicas; but if Gibson wanted to make the best,...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like the sound of tremolo.

I had a similar experience. I could do the tremolo, (not sure how), but then I expanded it to do runs and arpeggios and stuff and wow! In fact the way I do Irish triples is to just go into a quick...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing E Strings

If the E buzzes on open and fretted, it ain't just the nut. Lube the bridge slots with a sharpened pencil, see what happens.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

I think we have beat this subject as much as Don's Nugget.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Introducing the Sorensen VX

The newest VX seemed to draw a lot of attention while we were at IBMA 2016. We had a host of fine pickers drop by for a test-drive and it was getting picked on morning, noon and night --

150170 ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wegen TF140 without speed holes

Only the best players can appreciate it, but speed holes cut down on air resistance as your picking hand moves with blazing speed up and down through the strings. They also let more sound waves...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Master Models or One Gil?

I wouldn't pay much more than $18k for a used Gil F5. But to answer your question....both are equally fine mandolins. Maybe get a MM and a Gil Model 1 for the best of both worlds! :mandosmiley:
  11. Replies
    Views

An open letter to Classifieds users

I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a single microphone to play live

Exit from the mic to the sides; prepare to exit before your break is over. Make room for the person to exit. Move into the mic from the back. Banjo doesn't need to be that close. Guitar needs to stay...
  13. Replies
    Views

Here are a few more outdoors pictures to give another perspective --

14. Replies
    Views

Just to get the introduction started --

15. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Mandolin for Wife

I just saw the subject line and thought maybe this should be in the "swap" section of the classifieds.

But, well . . . never mind.
  16. Replies
    Views

Chris Henry: Mandolinist and Monroe Stylist

I finally extracted this video from my Facebook timeline. It's an impromptu jam between Chris Henry and Blaine Sprouse on Bill Monroe's birthday in 2014 while members of Peter Rowan's Bluegrass band...
  17. Re: so a song can be played in any key, but is it? Usually?

The key of G# wouldn't find favor with a legit musician, either - 8 sharps, two of them on the same line! In notation, it's always Ab, four b:s. And C# (7 sharps), like Cb (7 flats), is probably used...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Vocal Mic For Live Performance

Yes. The SM58 is pretty low in sensitivity compared to mics using neodymium designs, and certainly compared to a typical condenser mic:

SM58: 1.85 mV
    Beta 58: 2.6 mV
    SM86: 3.15 mV
    SM57: 1.6 ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Wow!... Jerusalem Ridge

So after hearing the tune Jerusalem Ridge a couple of times on Pandora (not sure who the artist recording was) I did s little Google search and found this YouTube vid of Chris Thile and Tim...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: That high, lonesome sound

:)) :)) :disbelief: :mandosmiley:
  21. Lyin' Eyes (Collings mando) - Lexington Lab Band

For episode 15 we covered the Eagles - thanks for checking this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERCYlHwO4fI
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Would Gold Rush be copyrighted?

Berline was camped in the trailer next to me about 3 years ago at Weiser. I asked him if he had written Gold Rush and he said "That's Bill's tune".

I had always assumed Byron had written it and...
  23. Re: Distractions while gigging - what bothers you the most?

me. I distract myself. My attention-span-of-a-gnat brain wanders off mid song.

as for audience. Nah... I distract them :)
  24. Re: Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar Mandolin #73987 Returned Post-Repair

On the first section of the tape it is Charlie playing. His sound was very distinctive. There were two Loars that came in at the same time. Bill's favorite is well known, but the second seems to be...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's played a Loar?

I have played four. Owned one (though it was back before I was quite as into mandolins as I am today).

They were all "good". It is rather like 1930's and 40's Martin guitars. They vary. A lot. You...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3