Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Billy Joe Shaver

He married and divorced the same woman 3 times. There's a song in there somewhere.
  2. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull- tone tips video

Hello friends,

I came across this on YT today. Simple advice from one of the best! Enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/-tCoGGcsi0I
  3. Re: The merciless camera (recording ourselves as a reality check)

Another type of skill/game to play, is "first take." Or figure out how to get the best you can with the first take. This is the more closer to a performance, i feel. I've often said, the good stuff...
  4. Shout-out for Duke Sharp's Garageband Theory book

I have always struggled with music theory. My struggle has turned to an eager road
    to understanding thanks to Duke Sharp's pedagogical talent. His book takes theory from "theory" to practical usage...
  5. Re: If money was no object, and perfect bluegrass tone was only g

In my experience a good Red Diamond mandolin seems to capture that vintage F5 tone. But lots of great mandolins put out great tone for bluegrass music.
  6. Poll: Re: Poll for the Song a Week Social Group Week #532

The Hole in The Wa' is one of the oldest pubs in Dumfries, Scotland, and was frequented back in the 18th century by our national Bard Robert Burns, Mike. In November 2013 Max Houliston, one of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Article on Chief O’Neil

https://www.chicagotribune.com/history/ct-opinion-flashback-chief-oneill-irish-music-20200918-pxualytarfah7bvbzmhmoqpwtq-story.html

Not mandolin specific but a good article about Chief O’Neil in...
  8. Poll: Re: Poll for the Song a Week Social Group Week #531

Here is a link to The Four-Poster Bed, the second tune in the set Gelsenbury and I recently collaborated on in the SAW Group. It comes in at 1:31 on the video.

bASJY81blqA
  9. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM-81
    Rode NT5
  10. Replies
    Views

Steve Earle and his Gibson mandolins

Pretty cool segment of Steve Earle discussing his Gibson mandolins.
    Also, is he George Gruhn's brother? Can anyone else see the similarity? lol

https://youtu.be/oa8zJWVpm-0

Best regards, ...
  11. Replies
    Views

1980s clip of Mick Moloney

Here's an old clip of Mick Moloney, Liz Carrol and Michael Flatley that was recently uploaded to youtube. Nice bit of Mick playing his Gibson at the start, plus a few seconds of him on the old CE...
  12. Replies
    Views

Virtual Willie Clancy Week and ITMA

Hi all,

I'm sure some are aware, but for those that aren't, the Irish Traditional Music Archive (ITMA), in conjunction with WWSS have uploaded an incredible amount of video content to help fill...
  13. Replies
    Views

James Tailpiece Review

My experience.
    I resisted changing any original parts on my '01 Gibson Sam Bush 5 for a couple of years, remembering Randy Wood's advice to me many years ago: "leave 'em the way you find 'em". But...
  14. Replies
    Views

Mandolins and Beer Track by Track

This is a really interesting and fun offshoot of Daniel's weekly interview podcasts. His first one was with Don Stiernberg a couple of months ago, going through his new album, Straight Ahead, and he...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall’s tone recipe

Re:strings — On my Northfield F5S I tried Straight Up Strings medium gauge, and I think they sound great on it. Never went back to D’Daddario after that. So if you feel like experimenting again, they...
  16. Replies
    Views

NMD Pava Pro

I am happy to share my new mandolin from the Mandolin Store. This is my Pava Pro Deluxe A5, with a varnish finish, torrefied top, one piece back, gold James tailpiece, gold Gotoh Tuners, ebony...
  17. Happy 70th birthday today to Mike Kemnitzer of Nugget Mandolins

Sending 70th birthday greetings out to Mike Kemnitzer of Nugget Mandolins today. I'd already owned my first Nugget for two years when the Mandolin Cafe was launched in November of 1995. My first was...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Ted Eschliman

Happy birthday, Ted!
  19. Thread: Tremolo

by Simon DS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo

I think this is the seventh time I’ve suggested this vid... :))

XxvD41asKCY
  20. New Joe Campanella F-5 at The Music Emporium

This appeared on The Music Emporium's social media yesterday. Anyone looking for one of these, they don't appear often and usually are not in stock long. I think his work is some of the most...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sorensen Tone

Chris and Celeste Cerna (Bluegrass Republic) keep making fine music during this time of Musical Isolation. One of the best decisions I've ever made was selling my beloved Sorensen Sprite Two-Point...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

The one constant, is that Lloyd Loar F-5's cost more than I can afford. When they were $25K decades ago, I couldn't afford them then. Now that I could afford that level of price (not that I would),...
  23. pickup/mic vs. studio condenser microphone on a Collings MF 5

Here is what a fine dual source system sounds like compared to a high end studio condenser microphone. I took my well worn Collings MF5 equipped with a K&K pickup / DPA 4061 attached mic and a...
  24. Amazing video of Josh Luttrell finishing an Ellis

Thought we could all use some soothing relaxing video to watch today.
  25. Replies
    Views

Who's been watching Mike Compton?

Every Sun. night @ 7:00.
    For some reason i can't get on the live streaming feeds. Don't understand why? But i watch it after it's over. Yes, it's great! Whipped out a dola. Does some cross-key...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4