Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Stan Jay

Over the years I've bought a whole lot of musical instruments but my two main stage instruments, A Gibson F5G and a Taylor, I bought from Stan. I miss his humor and I miss that store. RIP.

From...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Acquisition Syndrome . . . or Crisis?

From Mike Zito - "Is MAS/GAS, etc. a 'Syndrome' for the few - or a 'Crisis' for the many ?". If you don't have the cash - it's neither !.

I think that with musical instruments,most players...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins for Bluegrass Music

F-hole mandolins tend to have a sharper attack and quicker decay of the sound. This works well for the ubiquitous bluegrass off-beat mandolin "chop." When playing lead on mandolin breaks, overall...
  4. Replies
    Views

I used a Weber 'Beartooth' "A" style oval hole to play Bluegrass until it developed a warped neck. I did also have a Weber "Fern" "F" style as well,but the Beartooth was a hellishly powerful...
  5. Replies
    Views

F holes are better for bluegrass. Doesn't matter if the body style is A or F.

Still, you can play perfectly fine bluegrass on an oval hole mandolin if you really want to, and many have.
  6. Replies
    Views

Stroboclip HD tuner is here!

First, don't confuse this with the older StroboClip. The stroboclip HD has just come out, and has several advances over the older device. It can be updated to the latest firmware by USB, and you...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Peterson SC-HD Stroboclip HD tuner?

The StroboClip HD is not released yet. It was scheduled to be released around the end of April, but was delayed a few weeks. But today I noticed that they have added a new firmware update for it on...
  8. Thread: Tennis elbow

by Beanzy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tennis elbow

When you do play, make sure the elbow rests vertically from your shoulder, gently touching your side. Don't reach around the mandolin to play which puts the muscles in the upper arm under tension,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Ellis F5 Special #380

Starting a little corner where I can post videos of my spectacular new Ellis mandolin. As far as I know, she was completed in September, so only about two or three months old at this point. It's...
  10. Replies
    Views

It's another...CHORD MELODY TUESDAY

Happy Thanksgiving! Let's give thanks for those 3-note altered dominant chord voicings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlTAOrSoBs0
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Bear E-GJ, aka Reischman pick

From Santiago - "My main go-to pick is the Chris Thiele model Blue Chip". CT seems to have desterted the Blue Chip for the moment & gone back to his Wegen. https://youtu.be/yEVnOgtJSY0 40 seconds...
  12. Re: New mandolin strap design from Pinegrove Leather UK.

Hi Ray - The new strap is of course wider to accomodate the thong. If asked,i'm sure Rod would produce a strap similar to the one that i bought years ago,about 3/4" wide, narrowing down to 1/2" to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles

I didn't like The Beatles when i first heard them.They made their TV debut on a UK evening news programme 'People & Places',dedicated to news from the North West of England. It was on between 6.30pm...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles

Always fun to hear of this group! Paul ringo John George they were the best.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: compulsive instrument polishing

From usuallypickin - "....like it was ready to start growing bacterial cultures....... ". Yep ! - i've seen more than a few of them.
    It always makes me wonder about their 'personal' hygiene. Finger...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How to get that sweet tone?

Have you tried picking further away from the bridge? I think a lot of mandolin players don't take advantage of the sweet legato tone and sustain you can get by picking at the 15-17th fret (sul...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Stand for Banjo-Mandolin

I use an Ingles violin stand for my mandolins. Can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work on a mandolin-banjo. It supports the back of the neck, not the peghead, and is adjustable for height. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Shippey A5

Nice go, Rob!
  19. Re: What's the difference between a mode and a scale???

It's an interesting question. The major scale, or diatonic scale as it is also called, is built up of a series of tonal intervals. If we take the C major you mention, the notes are C, D, E, F, G,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Bright Star the musical

Went to see (Steve Martin's) Bright Star this weekend. Great show!! The best part was that my friend and teacher, Wayne Fugate, played in the band.Wayne subs for Bobby Baxmeyer who is the regular...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: $750 Collings mandolin case at elderlys

I was planning to get a Calton this summer.... But now I'm starting to see why you all like this case so much. I don't fly often with a mandolin, so do I really need something that is flight worthy? ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Love paradigms on parade. It sort of has the look of a TKL or Geib, so therefore that must be the goal. It has the cost of a flight case so therefore it must serve that purpose. Not the way Bill...
  23. Replies
    Views

If you see one of these cases in person you would just be in awe. While not for everyone, they leave TKL, who should be ashamed of the quality of their product, in the dust. You spend 10k+ on a...
  24. Replies
    Views

I does resemble the TKL 'shaped' case,why shouldn't it,but i suspect that as Scott implies,that it's made to a higher standard. My Lebeda "Special" was shipped up to me in a shaped TKL case & it...
  25. Replies
    Views

Have seen and inspected closely. Nothing out there like it and you'd have to see one to get it. It's what old Geib cases can only dream of being in the afterlife. May have to have one. Not a TKL. Not...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3