Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to check out a jam session

I went though I didn’t play. But I will return and I will play. One guy sat in on melodica and he swung HARD. I think I can fit in going forward.

Lots of standards as you might expect (How Deep Is...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Little help? Henderson's Recordame

Actually in this case the "relative major" is Bb not Eb. The melody notes and the chord given (Cm 6/9) show us that the key in that passage (bars 5-7) is not C minor (three flats) but C dorian (two...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

Electric mandolin could work - but the fretboard likely will be different than an acoustic counterpart. Not a huge deal, but if you practice on one type of neck then play on another, you may find...
  4. Patrick McAvinue Electric Mandolin Jazz Tune : Ballou

https://youtu.be/dDHPUQtNHb0?list=OLAK5uy_nAdHijS01unj9WSVXM0mvK4h_SPd0Mz3A
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tube preamp for direct e mando recording?

Pete -

For a longtime I used the relatively cheap Presonus TubePre. It's a solid state -> tube stage setup that is surprisingly good considering the cost. I used it live and in recording for...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tube preamp for direct e mando recording?

I used to have an ART pro MPA 2, it had a high voltage option, and if I remember, it had lots of available gain and tube distortion. It had two tubes, and was pretty easy to swap out.
    I’ve also...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

It is with my saddest heart to announce the passing of my good friend of 37 years Bill Bussman. So many around the world knew him through his luthier talents with Old Wave Mandolins. I know this from...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Hi Pete, I just discovered this thread (late to the party, I know) and was wondering what your thoughts are on absorbing your work here.

I have studied jazz guitar in the past and worked on lines...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

Will probably post more later but right now in total shock. Condolences to his family.
    Alan and I were roommates and closer than brothers back in the college days. We moved across country together, ...
  10. Re: February Jazz tune of the month: There Will Never Be Another

https://youtu.be/f3yUx-o084s
  11. Thread: Easy Jazz chords

by mjbee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Easy Jazz chords

Looking at the photo on the lower left and now I get it! THAT’S what people meant when they said I needed to “grow a pair”! :grin:
  12. Jobim, "Stone Flower": The New American Mandolin Ensemble

This is my arrangement of Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Stone Flower," performed here by the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) in its original configuration (from left to right, Mark Davis, mandolin...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Arthur Stern

Yes another Dear one has gone.
    He had as much enthusiasm as anyone you ever met about the music. He was honest in his critiques too ; ) But always endearing.
    My first days with the Dawg and...
  14. Replies
    Views

interesting movie

Caught an old movie the other night that may be of interest to fans of the jazz and also the mandolin!

It's "Second Chorus", from 1940, starring Fred Astaire, Paulette Goddard, and Burgess...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace - Byron Berline passes

This one hit especially hard. I got my first mandolin lesson from Byron while I was in college at Oklahoma State. He was a big Sooner fan so we always had fun with the rivalry. It was thanks to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiny Moore Tuesday

Sorry for the delay here gang, but here is this weeks transcription of Tiny's solo on "Sitting on Top of the World." This one was taken from the Merle Haggard Birthday Tapes, which all of you should...
  17. Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZI60ATzbs

Thanks for the request Norman Plankey! :)

This is definitely one of my favorite Bob Wills cuts, super early in Tiny's tenure with the band. He and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Mission to Moscow Part 2 for your viewing pleasure! This week we get Tiny's extremely acrobatic solo. Eat your heart out Eddie Van Halen :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt_mPtW4xIo
  19. Replies
    Views

Here is this week's Tiny Moore Tuesday. One of these days I'll actually remember to post it here on Tuesday lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqTRWnvCe-I

As always, check out this link for...
  20. Replies
    Views

Howdy mandolin fans! This week's Tiny Moore Tuesday is part 2 of last week's intro to "Stumbling." Last week's video is a great place to start if you're a beginner in the Tiny Moore style, whereas...
  21. Replies
    Views

I forgot to post last week's stab at a real cool break Tiny plays on "Time Changes Everything" at the 1986 Ashokan Western and Swing Week. Thanks to Roger Weiss for posting the original performance...
  22. Replies
    Views

Tiny Moore Tuesday

Howdy friends! It looks like I'll be doing these for the long haul, so thought I'd just make a dedicated thread for all the Tiny Moore Tuesday posts.

This week I took a stab at a great solo from...
  23. Replies
    Views

Absolutely - thank you Pete, I'm really enjoying your videos.
  24. Replies
    Views

You know, this is an awful lot of homework, even with a lot of time:)

thanks again
  25. Replies
    Views

Little Rock Getaway - Dave Peters

Melody and solo from his album Art in America.

6XTJMC04KCE

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4